Flash for macro photography

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

I am looking for some advice. I am have recently brought a macro lens for my Canon camera and I have already found that I need to add more light to my photography. I noticed that the Canon macro flashes are very expensive and would it would take a lot of convincing before I would consider buying one. I have notice there are a range of led ring flashes on the market proved in the £20 - £80 range. Does anyone know if its is worth starting with one these flashes as a starter, or if I would just be wasting my money. If anyone has had any success with one of these cheaper flashes is there any one you would recommend.
:nailbiting:

Hi Tony. Unfortunately I can give you not one bit of advice about flash photography as I dont use flash at all. But I do shoot a lot of macro photography. Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth here that you dont absolutely need flash to shoot macro. Takes a bit of practice but you can use natural lighting to shoot just about anything. Now if by macro you mean you are going to shoot at higher magnifications then 1:1 then ok, you will probably want flash. And a tripod. And a studio with not just flash but a nice lighting set up. I shoot all my macro at 1:1 or less (well, maybe sometimes a little more then 1:1 but not much) and its all done handheld with no tripod. Have a look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8539414@N07/sets/72157626866276690/

Just gives you an idea of what can be done.

I cannot help with you question but I too am interested in macro flashes and one I have wondered about is the Yongnuo model.

http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detail.php?ID=328

Its looks very similar to the a Canon version.

From what I have read the led ring flashes are not powerful enough.

Hi Tony. Unfortunately I can give you not one bit of advice about flash photography as I dont use flash at all. But I do shoot a lot of macro photography. Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth here that you dont absolutely need flash to shoot macro.

I agree. I much prefer to use natural light, and it often works well.

Takes a bit of practice but you can use natural lighting to shoot just about anything.

As long as it (or what it is on if it isn't moving itself) isn't moving (much). I quite often find this isn't the case.

Now if by macro you mean you are going to shoot at higher magnifications then 1:1 then ok, you will probably want flash. And a tripod. And a studio with not just flash but a nice lighting set up.

I often shoot well beyond 1:1 in 35mm terms. (I use cameras with small sensors, so the 1:1 definition can be rather confusing.) You don't need a studio. I do all my close-ups out of doors, in our garden and at several nature reserves. Whether I'm using flash or not, I almost always use a tripod (a rather strange one, with a lateral arm), but I don't use it in the "normal" way (I keep my hands on the camera most of the time). I don't have a special macro flash; I use an external flash in the camera's hot shoe and use home-made diffusion.

Personally 90% of my macro utilises flash, why not try a 3rd party hot shoe flash from Nissin or Yongnuo and build yourself a diffuser, should be able to pick one up for about £50. The led units are a waste of time , they don't deliver enough light.

I am presently experimenting with flash and Macro photography, I have a Nissin Di466 plus a nissin ext cable, I don't seem to have any luck with the flash pointing directly at the subject, even with a sock diffuser, the image is allways over exposed, but if I bounce the flash off the ceiling I seem to get a lot better results, its definately an art, outdoor lighting is best, but in the winter indoors I have been experimenting with flash, some of my photos can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/112548162@N02/with/11970016953/

the led ones are do help with a working light, but probably just give you a extra stop or two

I started off my macro shooting in available light but after deciding to do some indoor work as well I needed a flash. I started of with a Marumi ring flash off ebay for around £65 and that was ideal as a starting point. It was E-TTL when the camera was on auto but in AV it needed setting manually and as 90+% of my macro shots are done in AV I soon got used to it. I eventually broke it by pulling the flash head while the body was stuck in my bag so I looked around for another. I decided to get the Sigma EM-140 DG twin flash which has two separate flash tubes that can be controlled independantly and it's also able to be revolved so you can get some great lighting setups from it and some of the shots look almost 3D when the lighting is perfect. For insects outside it's difficult to get the light perfect as they usually decide to walk or fly off while you rotate and set it. It's also fully E-TTL which makes a big difference and it meters really well giving some fantastic shots with beautiful colouring. It's a great bit of kit and does me brilliantly and IMO it's got only one negative thing and that's the price, it's not cheap as it retails at around £300, but if you take your macro seriously it's well worth the outlay. The only other ringflash I've seen that's similar is the Canon MR 14EX (around £400) and the newer Nissin MF-18 (around £250) but I'm more than happy with the Sigma.

I too have the Sigma ring flash, which I bought on Ebay, used, but in mint condition for £165. Altering the flash ratio gives natural looking shots, and as above, I find the ETTL accurate. I don't use it all the time for insects, but it can be very useful, especially when stopping down to get a bit more d.o.f.

Thank you all for your comments and advice. It has given me a lot to think about.

Back