flash for macro work

Edit My Images
No
hi guys im new to all this and im looking for some advice. I have a Nikon d3100 with the 18 - 55 and 55-200 kit lenses but im now going to purchase the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro lens, to photograph my snakes and some insects(hopefully). Im guessing a flash will be a good investment. Any recommendations for flashes which will suit my purpose? i have £150, maybe £200 at a push. Thanks

Welcome to the forum, i don't do Macro myself, but i think you may be looking for a ring-flash for that type of work, and they are not cheap, however their are alternatives, like attachments which fix onto a speed-light, that give the ring-flash affect, their is a Macro specific area section on this forum, you may be better off, posting your question on there :)

thanks guys. any one have any specific suggestions? Im really at a loss :shrug: lol

You could look at a Nikon sb 600 (i started used a sb600 with te siggy 150mm) or the nissin di622 and TTL cord to get the flash off camera.

thanks ill check them out now. what do i look for in a good flash? are they rated for brightness or...?? i really dont know the first thing. Ive had the camera a few months and ive learnt all about the aperture/shutter speed relationship etc. just up until now ive not read up on any flash photography :confused:

i guess what i need to know is should i just buy the best flash i can afford or is there anything specific i need to look for in flash for macro work. sorry for my ignorance...id appreciate any articles/links i could read in order to be able to make an informed decision myself! thanks again!!

Back