Flash for wildlife photography

Edit My Images
Yes
I would like to buy a flash gun for my Canon SLR. It will be mainly used for wildlife shooting whilst on night walks and drives. As such, I don’t really care about whether or not I can set the flash up for off camera shots and so on. I would like to keep the weight down as much as possible as I do a lot of independent travel. I’ve been looking at reviews of the 430EXII and 580EXII. The 430EXII, which costs around £120 on MPB, is probably a better fit for my needs as it’s a fair bit lighter and I’m not sure how useful the extra reach of the 580EXII would be. I'm happy for posters to try and convince me otherwise.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other units to look at? Godox seem to be well thought of on this forum but I’m not particularly familiar with their products so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks for any responses.

The Godox Ving flashes are certainly worth a look. I'm likely to be after one myself in the not too distant to use for similar applications as yourself. I know the one I'll get will be the Godox Ving V860II-C TTL Flash 2.4G Wireless E-TTL II Li-on Battery Camera Flash Speedlite for Canon. That model is over your budget, there are other models which will fit your price range. No more messing with AA batteries and a heap of features.

I already have a couple of flash guns which combined cost more than the one I will replace them with, the reason being is that I din't man up and get what I really wanted due to budgeting. Quite funny really because having gear that I don't enjoy using is an even bigger drain on my budget than had I held out a little longer and got something that is really good in the first place.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting a very good deal on a mint condition 430EXII. I should be able to sell it for the same amount I bought it for if/when I decide to upgrade.

Back