Beginner Flash gun advice

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello ladies and gents.

Would anyone be able to recommend a flash gun stand, diffuser, etc that would be suitable for a beginner to practice some general flash photography.

I have a Yongnuo flash gun with triggers already but wondered what other kit I would need to get me started?

I am only interested in taking pictures of me, the missus, and maybe the dog at this moment in time so don't exactly want an entire studio kit until I decide what path I want to go down.
I have no budget so appreciate that you get what you pay for...

Any advice, recommendations and links would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Without specific goals it's hard to say. Just to get started/mess around I would say a stand (just about any) with a speedlight head (adjustable angle "cold shoe"), a fairly large (~120cm) octabox/softbox (the type where the light shines into the box from the front) and a 5-in-1 reflector. You should be able to easily purchase it all for < £200 (closer to £100)

I'm in the U.S. so maybe not the best to suggest "where to buy" for you. If you just want some half descent stuff at a good price I would say Amazon/Ebay sellers are fine.
Like everything else, top quality usually comes with an exponential price increase...

You can pay more for a stand, I suppose it might stand better. You can pay more for a holder, it might hold a bit better and the umbrella is a light diffuser. They'd probably break easier than equipment twice the price but they are static items once set up. It depends how often you're going to use and abuse them.

I've also taken very pleasing shots with a diffuser similar to this (more expensive ones available) using the cold shoe and placing the flash on furniture etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1909...1=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

I found this video useful and informative

If you have a tripod, you can use that to mount your flash to assuming it has the screw hole on the bottom. I am waiting for my flash stand to arrive and have been using that to have a play around with. Perhaps something to try out before you decide you need both a tripod and a flash stand (you probably will if you want to do family shots)

A stand, flash holder and shoot through umbrella is a nice easy cheap start if you want to have a play.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171337936138?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I'd suggest a convertible umbrella - one that functions as either shoot-through or reflector. Much more versatile than either a shoot-through or a softbox.

If you're going to get a softbox then get one with a grid to give the option of really controlling the light. IME speedlights do work in small softboxes but the results can be disappointing until you understand what their limitations are.

A good starting point for modifiers is that they should be at least as big as your subject, and about as close to the subject as the size of the modifier.
That's a gross over-simplification of course but it's a starting point. Speedlights do a better job of filling a large brolly than they do a large softbox (or beauty dish).

I'd also suggest you get a largish (say 40 inch) 5-in-1 popup reflector.

Back