Flash Gun differences

Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking of getting a flash, but not expecting to use it that much so ruled out the Canon 580ex due to cost (please stop telling me how great it is CT :) ).

A few weeks back someone suggested the sigma 500 DG super as good value as it still does much the same as the canon.

Is there a difference in these models below or are they just listed twice at different prices?

Sigma: EF 500 DG Super Flash for Canon

Sigma: Sigma EF-500 Super DG Flash for Canon EOS E-TTL

Thanks

Its difficult to tell from that listing however there are two different models available from Sigma, the later one incorporates the equivalant improvements that Canon have made when they released the 580EX as a replacement to the 550ex. Basically you are looking at distance linked flash exposure compensation in the newer model. otherwise the two Sigma flash guns are virtually identical.

That could be why the same model is listed at two different prices although a quick call would be adviced to check if one is for the newer model and the other, the older one..

That's strange to be honest. The "lesser" Sigma model is the ST which still offers ETTL II but loses a number of features which I can't remember just now, although I seem to recall 2nd curtain synch being one of the things missing. It's also usually a good bit cheaper than the Super.

I think the reason for the two listings is that there's a 'newer' model and I think the difference is E-TTL ii there was a thread on it a while ago on the dpreview 300d forums but the search function there is down so I can't look it up.

Back