flash guns

Name
George
Edit My Images
Yes
can I ask what might seem a stupid question what are the benefits of a flash gun compared to the auto flash and will it benefit outdoor sports photography

Using an On-Board TTL Flash, you can add extra light that the tiny Auto Flash can't. Once you have learned how to use it to it's best, you can then use it off camera with either Radio Triggers or Cables. This will allow you to get real creative with your lighting. For any help or more info look at www.strobist.blogspot.com or the Strobist FLICKR group(y)

First off, I don't shoot much in he way of outdoor sports, other than a little motorsports, and I certainly don't use flash for that, so the following is all just from my head rather than from any practical experience. I also see you're a Nikon guy and I'm not sure about the ins and outs of Nikon's offerings, but, being a Canon shooter myself, here are some thoughts....

- On cameras with a builtin flash the Guide Number of the flash is 13m. The guide number of the 580EX flashgun is 58m, or over 4X the distance. So straight away there is a big advantage in reach with an external flash.

- With a 580EX you can use a device called a Better Beamer to further increase the reach of your flash when shooting with long lenses.

- You may have a problem with use of flash limiting your sync speed, and making it completely unuseable for freezing action in conditions of moderately bright ambient light. e.g. the sync speed for Canon builtin flash is 1/250. With a 580EX you can use high speed sync, allowing flash at up to 1/8000 but at a very reduced power.

I'm sure the constraints are very similar in the Nikon world. So the questions to be answered are....

- What is your subject distance?
- What lens will you be using (focal length and max aperture)?
- What aperture will you be using for the required DOF?
- What will the ambient light levels be like?
- What is the maximum ISO you are happy to use?
- What minimum shutter speed do you require for the sport in question?
- How many FPS do you want to shoot at?
- Are you intending to use the flash to fill shadows (backlit subject) or as a main light?
- Will flash use be allowed at all by the event organisers?

If you can provide answers to the above I may be able to offer a better response but my guess is that you'll either be unable to use flash at all or will need a serious flashgun to make it worthwhile. If you do use flash it may limit your shooting speed significantly. I suspect (not having done it myself) that for outdoor sports a builtin flash is likely to be as much use as a chocolate teapot (probably).

I suppose with sports it will be a power thing. Flashgun will light the action a bit further away.

Apart from that, personally from my own noob point of view, flashguns are great for bouncing light off ceilings and walls so you don't get the harsh bright face look.

I've just ordered an extra flash and light stand etc so I can play around with off camera flash. For example, earlier today I triggered my flashgun with my wireless trigger to light the wall and used my onboard flash to light the subject so the wall behind was bright white rather than magnolia. Only playing because I'm a nub, but yeah, have a read on strobist.

Can't wait for my 2nd flashgun to come so I can play even more :)

thanks for the info guys but as a novice to photography most of your (Tim) questions you ask went over my head and I didnt have a clue, in the end just used on-board flash pics turned out ok:)

often you aren't allowed to use a flash at a sporting event in case it's 'distracting'

mums in the crowd can but a real photographer can't grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
[apologies for mini rant]

often you aren't allowed to use a flash at a sporting event in case it's 'distracting'

mums in the crowd can but a real photographer can't grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
[apologies for mini rant]

Buy yourself a dress and your problem is solved....

Well, one of them anyway :LOL:

The simple answer to this question is that a flashgun gives you more power and when used off-camera gives you more control of where you want the light to go. It really does make the difference between beginner snapshots and professional looking images.

Back