Flash Guns

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
Hi All, Happy New Year. Could anyone recommend an entry level flashgun for portraits and still life photography.

MP:)

Hard one to answer actually :)

For portraits you really could use a top of the range one simply because you will find that all the really good light modifiers are made for the top of the range flashguns. So if you want to be using softboxes, grids, snoots etc they are usually made for the SB800/900 flashes.

I'm no expert on Nikon gear but I do believe that a lot of the Nikon SB flashes are compatable with your camera and Nikon CLS but that's one for the experts. Try a little research over at strobist. THE place for flash.

If you're happy with the price, I'd probably look around for an SB-600 to get you started. That way you can play around with the Nikon CLS system without having to buy any extra gear to get that wireless functionality. You can pick them up used fairly inexpensively.

Alternatively, have a look at this thread, but you'll have to pick up wireless transmitters/receivers, and you'll be shooting manual power on the flashes generally speaking which can be quite the learning curve if you're new to using off-camera flash.

Back