Flash Guns

Onestop-Digital prices are intersting.
They guarentee no VAT. :icon_eek:

A quote from their FAQ's

9. What is "VAT Free" guarantee?
We offer "VAT Free" guarantee on all of our products for FREE, meaning we guarantee that you will not have to pay any import charges (namely import duty, courier handling fees, VAT and GST), i.e., DUTY FREE. If you are asked to pay import charges when you receive your package, please pay the customs as requested and send the original customs receipt to us. We will then reimburse such charges upon receiving the receipt. We would like to remind our customers to make a photocopy of the receipt before posting the original copy.

This VAT Free guarantee is only available for orders shipped to the United Kingdom at the moment

Where's the catch ?
Seems to good to be true. :confused:

Cameron

Garnock said:
Where's the catch ?
Seems to good to be true. :confused:

It's not really a catch but down to personal preference whether you deal with them, or any of the many Hong Kong-based traders that mainly do their business on ebay, which is where One Stop Digital started out. I suppose they're betting on the small likelihood of customs putting a bill for duty and VAT on the parcel, which the carrier has to collect from you before they'll hand over the parcel, and which I suspect will have a customs declaration that is economical with the truth regarding its true value.

The next problem is warranty. Most of these Hong Kong sellers will offer a warranty but you normally have to send the item back to Hong Kong to get fixed as the warranties are usually only applicable in Asia. This isn't always the case as Canon lenses in particular can be repaired under warranty anywhere, but Sigma, for example, won't entertain you in the UK, and neither will many other manufacturers.

So it really boils down to asking yourself if the savings outweigh the warranty benefits. One thing I will say though is that the few HK traders I've dealt with have been a model of efficiency and service.

The catches are explained by Adrian, but, as I have had dealings with OneStop, and as have many others on another forum I am a member of, I can clear up a couple of points.

They do offer a No-Vat guarantee. If you get hit by customs, then you pay the bill, then scan/fax the receipt and they will refund you.
I've not yet heard of them refusing to refund anyone.

As for the warranty, I'm not sure about other manufacturers, but the Sigma lenses that OneStop are selling, come with international warranty, so you can send them back to Sigma UK.

Also WRT the Canon vouchers, bear in mind I think that you have to buy from a UK retailer to be able to use the voucher.

You don't need to buy from an UK retailer - I used the vouchers to claim refunds on my 17-40 bought from 7dayshop and a 70-200 bought from UR Galaxy in Hong Kong. The purchaser has to be resident in one of 14 Euro countries but there's no restrictions on the source of the product.

T & C no: 4
The promotion runs in the following 14 countries: Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, or the United Kingdom. For the Cash Back to apply, the products on the above list must be purchased by an end-user in either of those countries.

Oops, my bad, I was honestly under the impression it had to be a UK retailer for a UK purchased camera (if that makes sense).

Top banana then :D

Marcel said:
As for the warranty, I'm not sure about other manufacturers, but the Sigma lenses that OneStop are selling, come with international warranty, so you can send them back to Sigma UK.

Missed that bit. Sigma will indeed honour international warranties but are providing a 2 year warranty on their authorised UK stock.

Adrian said:
Missed that bit. Sigma will indeed honour international warranties but are providing a 2 year warranty on their authorised UK stock.

Only if you pay the taxes

Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd does not condone the avoidance of the payment of VAT and import duty. Any claims on our 12 month International Warranty from the owners of products not imported into the UK by Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd must therefore be accompanied by proof of payment of import duty & VAT.

Erm what if its been bought for you are a present???? Think they will be hard pushed not to honour warranty. Been said on another forum they will fix them they just go into a lower priotiry pile.

Plus if you read the warranty certificate there is no mention of a need to pay taxes or they wont fix it. Its Sigma UK trying to stop you from importing lens cheaper than they sell them legally I'd like to see them not repair a fully international warranty lens. I'll bet you they fix it.

Yeah its a threat cant see them upholding it. They ain customs :D

Back