Flash issues - Taking pics of people outside

Edit My Images
Yes
I really want to get outside and wonder around taking shots of random people who look interesting to me. I'd do this by asking their consent and them kind of posing for me.

So i would mainly have the natural light, but i have seen a lot of pics sikmilar to this style that have used a fill in flash.

The question is will the small built inflash on my K10D be good enough? I get the feeling i will get better pics with and off camera flash on a wire. Are there any of these that are not too expensive and would do the job nicely?

Any advice would be good please.

Thanx

Otuside, go for the highest ISO your camera will allow without too much noise, then the flash won't have to contribute too much. This will then become simply fill in flash.

I used an SB600 on camera for these shots, but at ISO1000 so that the flash was just filling in and the background was exposed correctly.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=24965&l=4fcfd&id=632456085

Sorry the pics are on facebook, I don't have them on another server at the minute.

Pete

use a reflector ?

I didn't suggest that as from the OP it sounds like quick half posed street photography. I'm assuming that carrying reflectors etc would be a big hindrance. Having said that, if these are more posed shots under controlled conditions, I'd probably agree that a reflector or two could help.

Pete

Set exposure for whatever ambient light you have already - up the ISO if necessary. Then use flash and bounce it off anything nearby - you can always fix colour cast later. You want to get a bit of light from the flash to lift shadows but you don't want to make the pic look unnatural with the wrong kind of shadows that you get from using direct flash.

Thanx for the help guys. I dont really think i'll be able to carry around a refelctor with me. Sounds like i need to get myself a proper flash first though. but i will give it a shot with the flash on my camera for now. Probably tone it down a stop or two so it just fills in without being overpowering.

Back