Flash or continuous?

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
I currently have an SB600 which has worked very well on the camera, however never tried it off camera.

I would also like to try experimenting off camera with softboxes and/or umbrella's.

What with the hard times and xmas looming budget is limited. Question is, what will get me more value for money? I want to start with a cheaper set and if I get good results, or more importantly enjoy it, I'd invest in better quality gear.

Ideally I'd like a 2 or 3 head, portable setup.

Depends on what you fancy - Interfit ex150 2 or 3 head -Morrison photography usually cheapest or more SB600 - just got another from Purdeys for £139 inc delivery ..
If you want true portable lighting hope you have Very deep pockets ..

Hi Tommo, it's the usual conundrum, how can I get some quality portable lighting on a budget?

Several ideas that could save you a lot of money.

The invention that is daylight balanced bulbs means that you can use common and garden lamps. OK so you need to build your own model of softbox for that but you won't get cheaper.

Use flash. You can get a cheap set of cactus triggers off ebay and use any old flashgun. Again you need to make your own light modifiers (have a look at a site called strobist, life will never be the same again :))

Continuous can be a right pain if it's tungsten, unless I'm after a particular look and modify the white balance I don't really like using them.

Studio heads are not cheap. (good ones even less so) Personally I'd love some Arri or Profoto but then I wake up! :)

HTH

You can get some inexpensive continuous output lighting systems based around low energy lamps ( the curly ones) . However I do have some reservations as to the light quality from these units. The other problem is that their output is not very high in real terms. The light output is normally around the equivalent of a 100W tungsten bulb, that's fine for table top and still life but for portraiture it's a bit low.

You could look at the Lastolite Mini Apollo system. Its a fold out softbox for a flash gun. It's attached to the flash gun via velcro . I've one and although it does work it's not very professional. Lastolite also do a more professional system for portable flash's More expensive at about £160. It includes a softbox stand and a few accessories, but no flash

Here's a link to the Speed Graphic web site. You'll find the mini Apollo and the easy box on this page.
http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/cat.asp?c=187&1=Diffusers,+Filters+Etc

Here's the link to the complete kit

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.asp?i=17984&1=Lastolite+EzyBox+Hotshoe+Kit

Buy yourself a couple of 500w worklights/stands and a shower curtain from B&Q and that will give you a basic, portable set up for just over 50 quid. With their sale on just now you should be able to get the shower curtain for "free" with the 15% discount :)

Buy yourself a couple of 500w worklights/stands and a shower curtain from B&Q and that will give you a basic, portable set up for just over 50 quid. With their sale on just now you should be able to get the shower curtain for "free" with the 15% discount :)

It will cost you a bit more than that. You'll need a few fire extinguishers for when the inevitable happens and you'll need air conditioning, plus sunglasses for your subjects. And a good sturdy tripod for the long exposures.

Forget about continuous lighting, go with flash.

It will cost you a bit more than that. You'll need a few fire extinguishers for when the inevitable happens and you'll need air conditioning, plus sunglasses for your subjects. And a good sturdy tripod for the long exposures.

True, it would be a wee bit "warm" :naughty:, but that's a problem with continuous lighting anyway....

As for the tripod for long exposures, nope ;)

Garry,I'm not advocating that sort of set-up over a proper flash-based one, just offering a "bargain basement" (I refuse to say "credit crunch"...oh...billhooks, just did :bang:) alternative....

I exaggerated for effect about the long exposures. A 500W worklight through a shower curtain at a distance of 3' will give you 1/30th @f/2.8, so if you don't move the light any further away and if you have steady hands the tripod may be optional...

Back