Beginner Flash suggestions

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I've got a Nikon D5100 and mainly use a 50mm 1.8g prime lens - and am looking at buying a speedlight for portrait shooting. I was tempted by a Yongnuo flash just as something basic while I learn what I'm doing with one - but am pretty clueless about things like ETTL and the like...

Anyone got any experience or suggestions of what to buy would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Adam

I'd get a used SB800. Great value, and you often see them for around £150. What's your budget?

I'd get a used SB800. Great value, and you often see them for around £150. What's your budget?

Budget is as little as possible... Under £100 would be ideal - as I'm thinking of getting a Yongnuo speedlight, and then when I'm a bit more adept as using one, getting one of the better Nikon ones, and using the Yongnuo as a back-up/second light

I used to use nissin as my 1st speed light but you will soon see it has its reason for being cheap, mine didn't support high-speed sync and when using as a slave the pre-flash from the pop-up would cause the flash to fire to early...but it was a good starting point and worked ok on camera.

Oh also the radio triggers I bought later on didn't work with it either.

Last edited:
Have a look at Metz. They are well built and relatively lightweight. I have the AF-52 for my canon that I use as a slave with my 580 EXII. Works perfectly! They have a cheaper version...the 44 - it has swivel head and a built in slave flash so no need for radio trigger provided you have line of sight.

Back