Flash sync

Name
kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi sorry if this is a stupid question but i have a Canon 40d , my wife bought me a flash which is not ttl for my canon but a cheap Asian although very good flash.
What setting do i use on the camera ? av or tv? the flash is a slave really so until i can get a canon i'm having to use the one above, i tried using my remotes for portraits off camera but sometimes it fired sometimes it did not { although the trigger on camera fires every time when used manually }

Any tips please

Which flash is it? Which remote trigger/receiver are you using?

You don't have to have TTL, a lot of people shoot using manual flash, check out http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/ and read the lighting 101 section.

I always shoot in manual (M), set the shutter speed to your sync speed or below (I'd go a bit lower if you're using wireless triggers) and use whatever aperture you need for the shot. The aperture controls the amount of flash reaching the sensor, so the same flash power at f/16 will apear a lot darker than if you shot the same image at f/2.8.

The flash and remote is a "Yongnuo 460 and the remote is the same, i'm going to by a dedicated flash for my 40D, so if my sync is 200 i just set the shutter speed at that and should get a good exposure, should i shoot the camera in total manual ?

i use a light meter with the camera to get an adverage the bracket the photos does that make sense, when i use the remote it doesnt always fire the flash whats the reason do you have an idea

by the way thanks for taking the time to reply

If you buy a dedicated flash for your 40D you won't benefit from the 'dedication' whilst using it with the Yongnuo remote triggers. They only fire flashes manually, they don't pass on any TTL / exposure information. So your dedicated flash, when used off camera with these triggers, will work the same as the flash you have now.

To use the TTL stuff off camera you would need triggers that can pass that information to the flash (without checking it out I'm not even sure there are any) or you have to have a physical connection between the camera and the flash, i.e. - a sync cable.

I'd personally recommend learning to use flash in manual mode as it will serve you better. The TTL stuff is okay but it's not perfect. You only have to learn manual flash once and you can light anyway you want with consistency from shot to shot, which you won't get with TTL.

I think the 40D sync speed is 1/250, so setting it at 1/200 will be fine. That doesn't mean you'll get a good exposure, correct exposure of the flash light depends on the power of the flash, distance of the flash from the subject and the aperture used.

Try your light in fairly close and use a middle-ish power, like 1/4 power, and set your aperture to a large-ish aperture, like f/4 or somewhere. Take a shot.

If it's not bright enough then you can either choose a larger aperture (if you can go larger), move the light closer which will also make the light falling on the subject softer, turn the power up on the light, add another light and if it's still not bright enough there's always the ISO that can be raised.

If it's too bright then you can either choose a smaller aperture, move the light further away but that will also make the light falling on the subject harder, turn the power down on the light or go to a lower ISO (if your not at your lowest already).

Just adjust to taste. It's quicker with a flash meter, one pop and it tells you what aperture you need for correct exposure on your subject from that light.

Last edited:
I have my spare room set with desk spot lamps reflectors , when i take a meter reading if gives me correct f stop for the speed but they still come out under exsposed, when i use live view the exposure is different from the light meter but correctly exposed :thinking:

What you say makes sense ive tried to upload some photos but the site says far to big as i shoot in raw i have converted to jpeg with same results

thanks for all your info it really is helpfull

So you're shooting with desk lamps that are continuous light sources, not with the flash? If so then ignore what I've said as I was referring to shooting with the flash. It's entirely different when using hot lights.

Hi sorry it tokk some time to get back, i'm using spots and flsh to find out the best or should i say different lighting situations so any information is really geat, i've bought a canon 430 flash and now i'm playing.
I'll ask doing portraits setting up the subject how do you light it say my daughter

Back