Flash trigger choices

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey,
Looking for some recommendations on my next flash trigger purchase. I've contemplated having the fully ETTL option where the receivers work with my camera's ttl technology and also a trigger set that the transmitter has a ttl pass through built in. Ideally I'd like both but have not found anyone making them yet?
So, after weeks of changing my mind on this I've opted for the set I would get most use out of, which would be the ones supporting a ttl pass through on the transmitter.

I'm not pocket wizard rich but would still want reliable triggers. I've been looking at the phottix strato II and the pixel rook's as they seem to get good reviews without spending top price (PW prices). Anyone got experience with either of these hat try could share?

I'm tilting to the strato II's as these will have receivers compatible with the phottix Odin's. I may purchase the odin's down the line which gives me what I'm missing with the strato's.

Thanks for any recommendations or advice you can offer :)

Ishoot on ebay, why spend more, they arent exactly what you are after but consider all options first.

ouyh.jpg

Showing three guns with wireless and wireless remote to camera, the lower right is my Nikon on the Canon camera!

Last edited:
Why would I need to take another to answer similar questions LOL, do you want me to take another. perhaps from a different andle, in mono, back to front !

You haven't replied to the question I see.

Why would I need to take another to answer similar questions LOL, do you want me to take another. perhaps from a different andle, in mono, back to front !

You haven't replied to the question I see.

Oh, I just wondered, as you seem to post that photo in reply to almost every question. In this case the picture has little relevance to the op as he's asking about TTL and TTL pass-through triggers.

To the op, the Odin system looks interesting, however the price doesn't appear to be all that much less than PWs once you factor import duty, VAT and the hassle of having to deal with HK if there are any warranty claims.

Doc Jones - I use the Strato mk1 and it's great as a non-TTL system. I like the fact i can just whack a TTL gun on top of the trigger and have some automated input (ideal for fill flash). The Odin system seems like a very good product on paper.... haven't read enough of real-world reviews about it yet. Plus, it's only for EOS at the moment so I believe (I shoot Nikon).

There are a few issues that Phottix has addressed with the Strato mk2, namely an on/off switch on the trigger and a slight improvement in built and functionality. My Mk1s have been out in all weathers and have lasted so if the build is better, I don' think you'll have complaint if you intend to use them outdoors.

JSER - it was a bit of playful banter from FITP because that image has done the rounds a few times....

Last edited:
I did state they arent exactly what you are after but consider all options first

Doc Jones -

JSER - it was a bit of playful banter from FITP because that image has done the rounds a few times....

I know I would have added a :razz: But some may have taken it the wrong way when it was intended as an :razz:

Thanks for the input.

JSER, I have these triggers already. They work fine indoors but I've had some issues with them outside when I'm not working in close proximity to the receivers. I'm also looking at ttl support.

FITP, I agree with you about the Odin price, they are almost as expensive as PW but I would hope the price drops on them as more chinese manufacturers release something of the same standard in the future. If I was going for TTL for off camera right now I would probably go for the pixel knights as they are less expensive but no compatibility with their other products and the pain in using my camera's menu to adjust flash settings puts me off.

SpecialMan, thanks for the input on the MK1 strato's. As the Odin's are compatible with the strato's albeit in a manual only option at least I get my pass through functionality now and at a later date I can get a (hopefully reduced price) Odin.

The more I think about it the more the phottix option is best for me. I'll hold off for a little longer in case others may have another option I haven't seen.

Ta

Ive just ordered the odins from phottix

having looked at the options they came out for me to be best in terms of flexibility. from the head I can leave everything as ttl or partial ttl and manual and change all the settings for each remote group manually from the head..

theres a good demo video on their website by a pro.

also worth looking at the stobist review of them where there is current real world experience of compatibility with ttl flashes, as some of the cheaper ttl flashes have had issues (phottix say they will work with canon flashes but wont guarentee other makes although I assume they will release updates as user numbers increase)

Im going to pair them with 3 580exii's to be safe

Thanks for the input.

JSER, I have these triggers already. They work fine indoors but I've had some issues with them outside when I'm not working in close proximity to the receivers.

Ta

First they are fine to 50m with alcaline, never ever Ni cads or NiMh batts.

Also when you do decide what ones to buy let us know wont you as I would like to know.

Thanks

Last edited:
Phottix is now imported by Intro2020 to UK. Stratos etc are available now I think, and Odins on the way.

Phottix is now imported by Intro2020 to UK. Stratos etc are available now I think, and Odins on the way.

They are the ones I am getting

http://www.phottixstore.com/store/s...rato-2-4ghz-wire-wireless-4-in-1-trigger.html

http://flashraw.com/review-phottix-strato-ii-multi-wireless-flash-trigger

I was speaking with the chap at intro2020 a month or so back before they were available and they are supposed to be superb

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phottix-Str...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323006837&sr=1-1

Last edited:
JSER said:

That's what I use. Very reliable. Battery life is good from the AAAs - probably get 1000+ shots from a pair in both the tx and rx units. The hotshoe on the rx units is plastic BTW so although carrying a screw thread so they can connect to stands, if you use vide-type cold shoes 9as opposed to slide-in ones), tightening the clamp too much can crack the hotshoe.

Other than than this I've had no problems with mine. Better than RF602s and much more convenient than the Skyports I used to use because of the hotshoe.

Last edited:
Back