Flash trigger fault

Edit My Images
No
I have a neewer flash trigger firing off two external flashes. Camera is set on manual, 60th second at f8
Some of the shots come out black while others are fine ( not just a black band but completely black)
I bought another trigger in case that was at fault but made no difference.
Any suggestions?

Checklist
Does it work using the test button.
Fresh batteries
Clean battery contacts
Ensure trigger and receivers are all on same channel
Ensure trigger and receivers are all Mounted soundly and the right amount of 'tight'
Are flashes set on M with enough power
Make sure you wait enough time between tests for flashes to charge

As it’s a neewer unit open it up and check all wires are firmly connected...although mine didn’t work from new and got sent back.

I bought 2 new triggers in case it was faulty and still the same. The flash fires off and even if it didn't, I would have thought (at 60th F8) I would have got something from normal lighting but out of 12 shots maybe 3 or 4 will be black.

I bought 2 new triggers in case it was faulty and still the same. The flash fires off and even if it didn't, I would have thought (at 60th F8) I would have got something from normal lighting but out of 12 shots maybe 3 or 4 will be black.

Slow down, and go through the checklist, the above 2 sentences have added no information. :)

Both flashes are up to scratch and firing off ok when I press the test button or shoot with the camera.

Are they recycling enough between shots to be fully charged (as stated by Phil above), hence some under exposed to such a degree. Switch flashes off and take a test shot at 1/60th and f8 if it's black you will prove insufficient ambient light, so exposure is governed by flash alone.
Matt

What camera are you using them on?
Do you see the flashes actually going off?
How consistent is it giving completely black exposure?
What power are you using on the flashes?

Last edited:
Also what trigger? There might be a delay in the shutter going and the flash being triggered after the shutter has closed.

With no flash I get a pic (60th F8) albeit very dim so whether the flashes fire or not (which they do) it shouldn't be black. I'm having to suspect a camera trigger malfunction.

With no flash I get a pic (60th F8) albeit very dim so whether the flashes fire or not (which they do) it shouldn't be black. I'm having to suspect a camera trigger malfunction.

I'm sorry but your short and erratic writing style, makes it difficult to understand exactly what you're doing, and your complete failure to do the logical testing as I suggested is very frustrating.

12 posts in and I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're doing or what the results are.

There's no way a triggering fault could cause the camera to collect less light than w/ no flash...

ETTL? Telling the camera to adjust the settings to darker as the flash is firing full power, yet it triggers it after the shutter has closed, i.e. 1/60th sec delay?

ETTL? Telling the camera to adjust the settings to darker as the flash is firing full power, yet it triggers it after the shutter has closed, i.e. 1/60th sec delay?
Neewer suggests manual triggers.

Neewer suggests manual triggers.
Yeah, just trying to think of ways a trigger could make an image darker with flash...

But I don't think we have enough information from OP to fully help him yet. He suspects a trigger fault yet another did the same?
We don't have full symptoms, equipment brands etc yet.

Yeah, just trying to think of ways a trigger could make an image darker with flash...

But I don't think we have enough information from OP to fully help him yet. He suspects a trigger fault yet another did the same?
We don't have full symptoms, equipment brands etc yet.
I know, I've been frustrated since my first post.:(
Getting to the cause of a fault requires a simple 10 minute exercise in logic. :)

As you have been told there is no way for this to occur... You need to work through Phil V's checklist and report back with as much information as possible, I don't think any one will be able to deduce what is going wrong from the info you have given so far, I suspect this is not a trigger malfunction but more than likely 'user error'.

Can you post a picture of the flash units turned on, so we may see the settings?

Try setting the camera flash mode to manual. It sounds like it's set to ETTL and the black images would be the camera adjusting exposure for the flash when they don't fire because you have not allowed enough recycle time on the flashes.

Try setting the camera flash mode to manual. It sounds like it's set to ETTL and the black images would be the camera adjusting exposure for the flash when they don't fire because you have not allowed enough recycle time on the flashes.
The triggers aren't ETTL enabled and we've no idea whether it's every frame.

Could the camera be set to ETTL in the camera menu?
Well we don't know what camera it is, but for a Canon, the only way to set an external flash to M would be by using the camera as a transmitter, which wouldn't be available using a simple wireless trigger. ETTL requires communication, and that's not available using a simple trigger.

Does it work using the test button. yes
Fresh batteries always fresh batteries
Clean battery contacts yes
Ensure trigger and receivers are all on same channel yes. wouldn't work at all if they weren't
Ensure trigger and receivers are all Mounted soundly and the right amount of 'tight' flashes are firing
Are flashes set on M with enough power flashes are manual no ettl used. (full flash 1/1)
Make sure you wait enough time between tests for flashes to charge yes. 3 seconds or so.
fuji hs50
camera is set to fire external flash which it does

Sorry, I left gaps between the questions and the answers but the thread justified them

Does it work using the test button. yes
Fresh batteries always fresh batteries
Clean battery contacts yes
Ensure trigger and receivers are all on same channel yes. wouldn't work at all if they weren't
Ensure trigger and receivers are all Mounted soundly and the right amount of 'tight' flashes are firing
Are flashes set on M with enough power flashes are manual no ettl used. (full flash 1/1)
Make sure you wait enough time between tests for flashes to charge yes. 3 seconds or so.
fuji hs50
camera is set to fire external flash which it does
My flashes often take up to 20secs to fully recharge after a full powered flash.

Test the recharge time by triggering whilst just watching the pilot lights on the rear of the flashes, whilst you're there, check how much quicker they are on 1/4 power (and that's easy to compensate by upping the ISO a stop and opening the aperture a stop.

Back