Flash trigger

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all, I'm a long time follower but first time poster.

I have a couple of studio flash lights that I've been happily using for a couple of years with my Canon 70D in manual mode and a RF trigger. A few weeks ago it suddenly stopped working. With a couple of little ones around the house I certainly can't say for certain that nothing has been touched and as such I thought the trigger might have been broken, because the flash didn't respond when I pressed the test button on the transmitter.

So I got a new transmitter and receiver (Neewer RC100) and this works when I test it, ie press the test button. However it still doesn't trigger when I shoot. Which makes me think there's something broken in the camera. So I tried it with my older Canon 500D but it also doesn't work with this one. And it seems strange to me that it would be broken here too. For further info I also tried a Canon TTL flash on the 70D and that works fine. But as it has more connectors it might not use the main one that the 'dumb' trigger uses.

It seems to me I'm missing an almost fundamental issue, but I can't find anything that would actually turn off the trigger when in Manual mode.

Does anyone here have any idea what could be the problem? Just now when we're in lockdown and I have some more time on my hands I can't actually shoot anything indoors with my flash. :(

Thanks.

Well, I don't know the answer so all that I can do is to suggest things to try, it's a very basic, simple trigger so they're aren't many things that can go wrong . . .

1. Is the transmitter fitted to the camera hotshot the right way round? Looking at the photo of it, it's unlikely that you've fitted it back to front but if you have then it won't work.
2. Have you tightened the locking nut? It needs to be tight enough but if it's too tight some of these cheap triggers distort and the contact is then poor.
3. Have your tests been carried out at 'normal' operating distance? If the transmitter and receiver are within about 30cm of each other, which can happen when people are testing them, it may not work.

Thanks for your reply Garry.

The transmitter is the right way round indeed and tightened with the locking nut. I've since tried a little bit more loose and a bit tighter but neither made it work. :(
The test is also done from where I would take the photo normally, so same distance between testing the flash and trying to make the photo.

I've chosen the simple option for these triggers as I don't want to do anything fancy and the additional money spent on a more complicated trigger is in essence wasted. Just very frustrated now it still doesn't work. :(

Sorry, but I'm (almost)out of ideas, maybe someone else may be able to help?

The last remaining thought is that although I'm not a Canon user myself, I know from experience that some - at least - Canon cameras struggle to get good connectivity with third party single pin connectors, so it may be worth trying with a Nikon, if you can get hold of one for testing. If it does work with a Nikon (or some other make) then the trigger may not be good enough to work with your Canon cameras, this is a possibility as many of the goods re-branded Neewer are pretty poor.

If it works when you press the terst button but not when you try it with TWO different cameras that would suggest it's the point at which the unit interfaces with the camera where the failure occurs.

There is a well documented problem with Nikon D750s (I know you are talking about Canon but bear with me!) where hotshoe mount sits a small distance back from the recess on the body. What this can mean is that the contacts don't line up if you push an item fully into the mount. perhaps something similar with your trigger and the mount?
Also, ensure the sprung connector is clean and freely moving when pressed. If it's lfting but not springing down it could lose contact.

Can I just check you're aware of sync speed?

And you're not using live view with silent shutter?

Last edited:
Can I just check you're aware of sync speed?

And you're not using live view with silent shutter?
Live view could be a possibility, good thought. Sync speed no, because it should still fire regardless of shutter speed, even if nearly all of he sensor is covered by the shutter.
Are you 100% certain the kit is for canon ? Is the pin layout the same as your speed light ?
It's not dedicated to any brand, it's just a single pin contact that would normally work with any brand of camera hotshoe that it physically fits into.

Thanks for your replies. And Garry answered most questions already and I don't use live view.

It looked as if the pin might not connect properly with the central pin, so I did a little modding with sandpaper, but no success. There certainly seems to be some contact because when I take the transmitter off the camera with everything turned on it actually sends a signal when the contact to the camera gets broken (flash gets triggered). But still no luck. A friend has a camera with a hotshoe that I can borrow, so that's my next test.

If it turns out that this trigger isn't working, has anyone got a decent alternative in mind? I really don't need anything fancy, it just needs to trigger the studio flash as I keep everything in manual mode.

Thanks.

I'm glad that you seem to have found the problem and frankly I'm not surprised.
Other people may have better ideas, but a very quick look on Amazon came up with this (previous technology) Godox one at what I feel is a pretty good price https://www.amazon.co.uk/Godox-Chan...86082672&sprefix=flash+trigger,aps,141&sr=8-8

They work with both studio flash and many flashguns. I used them for years, 100% reliable and a good make. much simpler to use than it looks, it has very little in common with goods sold under the Neewer brand.

If you're only using a single flash head then that's all you need, if you're using more than one then it's better to have a separate receiver for each flash head because unless you do you'll need to rely on non-connected heads firing in slave mode, which isn't always reliable.

BTW, welcome to TP, we're a useful bunch and normally manage to get to the bottom of most problems:)

Back