Flash triggers

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
I've not used flashguns in anger since the last time the powder singed my eyebrows!!
I will shortly be having a play with water splash photography which means that I have to dig out my flashes and learn to use them again.
I can either read the instructions, which seems a bit drastic or ask you very knowledgeable people.
My question relates to use on a canon R5.
I have 2 Godox TT685 (canon versions) and one Canon speedlight 420EX.
Can I use the Godox flashes off camera and fire them with the canon 420 on the hot shoe.
If this is not possible what do I need to use fire the flashes.

To optically trigger the TT685s from the Canon 420), set them to Manual and then Slave S1 or S2 (S2 if the 420 is doing a pre-flash, S1 if it's in manual itself).
Bung the 420 on the hot shoe and make sure that there is sufficient LOS for the canon's flash to trigger the TT685.
Job should be a goodun.

I just tested it firing my TT685F using a canon specific Yongnuo flash and the test button :)

LC2 I have just tried the set up that you have suggested and it works a treat. Thank you.

To optically trigger the TT685s from the Canon 420), set them to Manual and then Slave S1 or S2 (S2 if the 420 is doing a pre-flash, S1 if it's in manual itself).
Bung the 420 on the hot shoe and make sure that there is sufficient LOS for the canon's flash to trigger the TT685.
Job should be a goodun.

I just tested it firing my TT685F using a canon specific Yongnuo flash and the test button :)
Whilst the 420ex will indeed fire the Godox flashes, it’s an ETTL only flash and would be an irritation in use for a delicately balanced 3 light setup.

Surely the best solution is to get a transmitter for the Godox units

Whilst the 420ex will indeed fire the Godox flashes, it’s an ETTL only flash and would be an irritation in use for a delicately balanced 3 light setup.

Surely the best solution is to get a transmitter for the Godox units
I've never been tempted to buy a canon flash, but blimey, it doesn't have Manual? Madness !
I agree, that would be really hard to use with 2 other units that are being triggered optically, so yes, a cheap godox trigger would be the ideal solution.

I've never been tempted to buy a canon flash, but blimey, it doesn't have Manual? Madness !
I agree, that would be really hard to use with 2 other units that are being triggered optically, so yes, a cheap godox trigger would be the ideal solution.
The 420 was my first flash when I went Canon (still have it), followed by 550ex, then yongnuo’s, all of which (bar the 420) I ditched for Godox.

If you fancy a bit of DIY, there are a couple of tutorials on TP...

I'd get one of the three available Godox triggers plus a Godox X1R-C, mount the 420EX on the X1R-C and use the trigger to control all three flashes with TTL or manual flash as desired.

I use 2 Godox 860's and an X Pro tiggger- seems to work ok for me

2bpcgtB.jpg

Or using just the one from below the glass bowl- & one in front ( off camera) using 2 x Godox 860's and the trigger

VXrFaEP.jpg

X-Pro trigger

This is the nicest option at the moment and Godox appears to be the way to go in general.

For Canon RT system only setups a better choice is YN-E3-RT...

Back