Flash Troubleshoot - Jessops 360AFD

Name
Anand
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Need help...Got my flash gun (jessops) after a while. Unfortunately, every time I try using flash the picture is severely under-exposed, however, without this the picture seems to be okay...see below for e.g.
not sure what's happening..just inserted new batteries, have double checked flash lamp working, flash setting is at flash and red-eye (which is what I have used with no problems in past). It's like the camera knows the flash is there so increases the shutter speed but the flash isn't syncing at the same time (I think)
Any tips? Thanks.

WITHOUT FLASH

6066140073_1fd7fd2559_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

WITH FLASH

6066686632_191b6e12de_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

The flash isn't firing at all by the looks of it. Does it flash when you press the 'test' button? Try doing the pic again but with the flash pointing directly at the mirror. Then it will be very obvious if the flash is firing or not.

Is there something on the display on the camera to tell you it knows there is a flashgun attached?

The flash isn't firing at all by the looks of it. Does it flash when you press the 'test' button? Try doing the pic again but with the flash pointing directly at the mirror. Then it will be very obvious if the flash is firing or not.

Is there something on the display on the camera to tell you it knows there is a flashgun attached?

Agree. I think the flash is not firing at the time of shutter release. But otherwise the lamp definitely works when I test it.

No display on the camera, but the display on the flash unit does say I-TTL, gives info of FL, ISO, and f/stops showing its pairing with the camera.

Will try flash pointing at the mirror now as well. Thanks for your input.

Deffo not firing on that 2nd pic.

Might sound daft but have you pushed the flash fully home onto the hotshoe:shrug:

Definitely in all the way...loading couple of pics shortly with flash pointing at mirror....do see the flash firing in the mirror but doesn't come up on the photo which makes me feel the flash is firing either before or after shutter release :(

WITHOUT

6066278927_3b49e167e0_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

WITH

6066825670_2d8930724b_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Shooting on Aperture priority mode so don't think that should be an issue? should it?

Anyway - Checked EXIF , last two pic shot at 1.8 f/stop
Shutter speed - Without flash - 1/25th
With flash - 1/60th (which makes me feel the camera is registering the flash unit and adjusting shutter speed in accordance)

sorry loading photos again

WITHOUT FLASH

6066278927_8e5dea56c3_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

WITH FLASH

6066825670_05dd2ef0b6_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Having the wrong sort would explain it. Wonder if a numpty has put the wrong kind in the box??

Also make sure you haven't got anything weird flash wise set on the body. There's loads of options. I saw someone's D300 flash settings and there were pages of them!

Nopes...it's definitely for Nikon..In fact i have used it few times in the past with absolutely stunning results..wonder what's happened now?

Oh. If it has worked ok before and isn't working now then I'd be wondering about taking it back potentially. There's obviously something wrong with it. Do you know anyone else with another flash gun to try to exclude the possibility that it is the body that has the issue?

Oh. If it has worked ok before and isn't working now then I'd be wondering about taking it back potentially. There's obviously something wrong with it. Do you know anyone else with another flash gun to try to exclude the possibility that it is the body that has the issue?

Unfortunately no. But have just checked this with my built in flash which seems to be fine. Thank God..No problem with the body atleast

Anand, I reckon it will be something simple, could you post both those images again with the exif intact and I'll have a look.

Could you also tell me exactly all the setting on the flash when those pics were taken, mode etc

Flash In The Pan said:
Anand, I reckon it will be something simple, could you post both those images again with the exif intact and I'll have a look.

Could you also tell me exactly all the setting on the flash when those pics were taken, mode etc

Thanks a lot. Certainly, when I get hold of the PC again. My Mrs. is sabotaging it at present without understating the gravity of situation, lol

Right, here I go again..

WITHOUT FLASH
[/url][/IMG]

EXIF Info Linky

WITH FLASH
[/url][/IMG]

EXIF info Linky

Info on Flash unit -
Flash set to - Auto
Displayed f/stop - 1.8
ISO displayed - 200
FL displayed - 50mm
i-TTL BL displayed

Hope that helps Graham. Take your time. No rush. Thanks a lot.

If Nikon is the same as Canon, when you have the camera on Av the flash will only fire "fill flash". So the camera will expose and meter for the ambient light.

Right, here I go again..

WITHOUT FLASH
[/url][/IMG]

EXIF Info Linky

WITH FLASH
[/url][/IMG]

EXIF info Linky

Info on Flash unit -
Flash set to - Auto
Displayed f/stop - 1.8
ISO displayed - 200
FL displayed - 50mm
i-TTL BL displayed

Hope that helps Graham. Take your time. No rush. Thanks a lot.

At the moment you're shooting in Aperture priority with an f/1.8 lens wide open, so it may be that even though the camera detects the flash it may have decided that it isn't needed, hence no output.

Try shooting with both the camera and flash in manual at, say, 1/125, f/8, iso 200 and 1/4 power on the flash and see what happens.....

Flash In The Pan said:
At the moment you're shooting in Aperture priority with an f/1.8 lens wide open, so it may be that even though the camera detects the flash it may have decided that it isn't needed, hence no output.

Try shooting with both the camera and flash in manual at, say, 1/125, f/8, iso 200 and 1/4 power on the flash and see what happens.....

That was my initial thought as well, so i did a quick check at f5.6, where I am sure the flash unit was working properly in the past. The only reason I posted the 1.8 one was *** it's less blurry.

But I will give your suggestion a go and re-post here tmrw pm. Thanks for your inputs so far.

Dave Stone said:
If Nikon is the same as Canon, when you have the camera on Av the flash will only fire "fill flash". So the camera will expose and meter for the ambient light.

Do understand what you mean, but again did consider this as well. Two things ruled this thought out- my built-in flash works appropriately, and no. 2 1 I've tried my jessops flash(the one in question) under exactly same conditions with the right results in not so distant past :-(

Rough Edges said:
You have checked the slave switch haven't you.. Used to catch me out from time to time, though I am pretty sure it won't fire at all if on S while on the camera...

I have a strange feeling that you may be right. I will double check that tonight when I get home :)

I live in Salford, Manchester :)

You were so right Simon. Just went home lunch time, did a quick check. The slave switch was on causing all the problem. It's now sorted :). Defo you're a genius. Feel so daft now.

You were so right Simon. Just went home lunch time, did a quick check. The slave switch was on causing all the problem. It's now sorted :). Defo you're a genius. Feel so daft now.

I just read through this thread and laughed, I did this over the weekend and was sure I had broken my flash! :bonk:

It's a great flash for the money

DaveKing said:
I just read through this thread and laughed, I did this over the weekend and was sure I had broken my flash! :bonk:

It's a great flash for the money

Great flash indeed for the price :)

Back