Flash Website

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok. Those of you who have full flash websites, how do you do it? Did you create it yourself or did you have someone else create andmaintain it for you? Our site is 95% HTML with a few flash galleries (created from LR), but I like the look of a flash site.

My wife fully designed the site and I maintain it, but it really is a pill and lacks the "prettiness" of flash. :D

Thanks in advance.

I work with Flash everday and would not have a 100% Flash based website, the main reason is that search engines cannot see the text, so it can be difficult for your site to be indexed...

Craik, if you work with Flash every day you should know better...!

Google have been indexing Flash sites for ages (they can read static Flash text, just not dynamic), and most of the other big SE's are now following suit. Flash is no longer the taboo it used to be, and there is no doubt it can be incredibly effective to run a full Flash site. The advancements Macromedia (and more recently Adobe) have made to bring Flash functionality more in line with HTML/CSS are extremely successful. There is not much you can do using CSS which you can't do with Flash (apart from using style sheets) but Flash is so dynamic itself, that it gives you almost infinite scope for innovation and artistic design.

I used to design most of my websites in Flash (fully) but when I needed complex back end databases to integrate, HTML/CSS was easier, I'll admit. This is not so much the case now, but then I'm no longer in the game (except for the odd commission)...

Certainly would not make funn, my own local history web site is real rusty of 2001.
I like your site although a little hard to navigate, but that could just be me...

Anyone tell me more about CSS, I have woked with HTML in frontpage, but unaware of the reason of CSS.
Anyone?.
Thanks

I think the site is smart, nice pictures too.

How extensive do you want your 'new flash site' to be? do you want it to be really fancy or just be able to move better than a HTML/CSS site?

Flash is evil :thumbsdown:

Depends how you go about it. If you want the whole site to load in one go, then you will upset the viewers. But if you build the main page with the nav menu - then allow your images to load once its clicked, it'll be more user friendly.

Optimisation is key - If you can get away with using gif during op then do it. The load time will mount up in the end.

And not sure why you can't get the page to open Rocket? Works fine for me. Strange.

All working ok now, seems that my PC needed a slap, it seemed to be running awfully slow..

Thanks blazzar. Yes. I use flash galleries, but that's it. Thinking of maybe incorporating a flash entry though and work the rest with HTML. I just want a little more wow factor upon initial viewing. :)

So better off just having maybe a Flash entry?

No, dont even have an entrance page as its another barrier and useless, if I want to enter a website I donet need to have another pager in my way, also have the index. page as text then all others in flash as web bots/crawlers always search home pages first/only.

I wouldn't go for a flash entry page either, you want people to be straight to the action with your best shots, and quick ways of viewing more pics or getting in contact with you.

Craik, if you work with Flash every day you should know better...!

I didn't realise Google could do that now, I've been out of the website game for too long now.

(I use Flash for the touchscreen infotainment system in cars, no SEO to worry about :D )

Back