Beginner Flash

Edit My Images
No
So when i took some shots indoors with my flash Nissin Di 622 Mark II

If i tried to have a shutter speed faster than 25th of sec in the view finder would show negative ,shouldn't i be able to go alot faster with the flash ta

Is the flash TTL or manual? What did you have it set on? Was it on camera?
What programme was camera set to, manual, or shutter priority etc
Yes you can get far better shutter speeds than that

So when i took some shots indoors with my flash Nissin Di 622 Mark II

If i tried to have a shutter speed faster than 25th of sec in the view finder would show negative ,shouldn't i be able to go alot faster with the flash ta
The meter is just measuring the ambient, You can set the SS to 1/100 and have the background 2 stops underexposed, or set it at 1/50 and have the background 1 stop underexposed. The TTL metering on the flash will ensure your subject is correctly exposed (ish) and sharp too as most of the light will happen very quickly and freeze the movement (the BG may still show camera movement blur)

On camera , Flash ttl, manual and I thought it would go to 125 easy , the flash is supposed to be 40 00 the ta

On camera , Flash ttl, manual and I thought it would go to 125 easy , the flash is supposed to be 40 00 the ta
Did you understand my post? The meter in the camera viewfinder has no bearing on the flash, it's telling you what the ambient light level is.

I thought they talked to each other ie to know what power to use and for how long it needs to be on for

I thought they talked to each other ie to know what power to use and for how long it needs to be on for
They do talk to each other...
Or can you ignore the viewfinder exposure meter when the flash is attached
But the exposure meter in the viewfinder hasn't seen the flash, it's telling you what the ambient looks like.

As you make your flash decisions, you need to know what the ambient reading is, because when you're using the flash, you're making 2 separate exposures:
1, the ambient, measured by your camera meter
2, the flash, either set manually and metered separately or using TTL where the camera and flash work together to ensure a correct exposure.

That's true whether you're outside in bright sun where the ambient makes up most of the exposure with a flash just adding a touch of fill from the flash, or you're carefully mixing flash and ambient indoors to show some atmosphere whilst the flash is the main light source. Or indeed if you are in a studio situation where the ambient light in the room is so much below the flash that it'll not register at all on the imag; it exists but might be 5 or 10 stops below the flash power.

I think I was using ttl that's why I wondered why it shows that I need to slow shutter speed to get it correct

I think I was using ttl that's why I wondered why it shows that I need to slow shutter speed to get it correct
But you don't need to worry about that, the meter is showing the ambient reading. The TTL will just react to your settings used (wherever it is capable)

Back