Flashgun fires, but image is black. Canon 7D & Speedlite550EX

Edit My Images
No
I have been using the 7D with speedlite for a number of years with no problems at all, until very recently when I began getting black images. This started off as just the odd pic here and there, but quickly escalated. I also noticed that it would tend to be ok at the start of the shoot, but get worse later on. The speedlite is about 10 years old now, and I recently bought a second speedlite (same model and age) as a backup. After shooting for 45 minutes the problem starts to kick in. The flash goes off, sometimes 2 or 3 times in a row, but no image. Also I've noticed that the whining sound of the flash dropping and recharging only occurs when the picture has been correctly taken, so I know from the sound if I need to shoot again. If I switch flashguns the problem doesn't end, so I assume the problem is with the camera itself. I think it would be too coincidental for both flashguns to have the same unique problem.

Has anyone had a similar problem and can tell me what is causing it? I've uploaded a video to youtube
View: https://youtu.be/A7FZwXJoHZg

You might want to change the privacy settings for the video to allow us to see it

Try setting your shutter speed slower, shutter speed has little/no impact on exposure with flash, aperture/distance/power control exposure.
You are shooting in manual, the chances are f11 is too far stopped down for the power output of the flash

Last edited:
It sounds like a problem I had with my Speedlight a while back. It went away with a new set of rechargeable batteries.

Hmm; the instant recycle means it's not putting out much power at all and the capacitor is remaining full, that correlates w/ dark images. That it occurs w/ two separate speedlights would indicate to me that it is due to an exposure offset setting, or maybe something like exposure bracketing. But for the behavior to change during a shoot w/o some setting being changed makes no sense.

I would first check/clean the pins/pads and insure that the speedlight is fully seated/mounted correctly; check for excessive play/twist. I'm thinking it must be something w/ the TTL communication...

mmm,... well 1/160 is well below the scyn speed of the 7D which is /250. f11 is pretty dark setting.
Can you fire the Speedlight a 1/160 in S mode and everything else on auto and also the flash head pointing forward at the wall. Just in case there is an issue will light fall distance.

ta

Back