Beginner Flashing aperture rating

Name
Paul Vickers
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all, when I was on my daily exercise yesterday I walked by the river close to my house and there is a very small waterfall. I've seen photographers use the shutter to blur the water so I thought id give it a go. the problem was that if I tried to slow it down more than a second the aperture rating was flashing as a warning I assume but I cant work out why when I have looked at the picture the water doesn't seem blurred enough so im a bit confused. BTW this was the first time I have taken the camera outside as I am a complete newbie!

To get those milky waterfalls you really need to use a Neutral Density filter.
I'm assuming you have set the camera to Shutter Priority.
The camera tries to chose an aperture to match the chosen shutter speed to give the best exposure.
If it can't, then the aperture setting will flash.

Another way to achieve the effect you want is to set the lowest ISO and a small aperture such as f16 or f22 but you really need to have the camera on a tripod.
Hope this helps ;)

thank you really helpful. I did have it on shutter priority yes.

using the lowest ISO and small aperture would I need to change the shutter as well or would that look after itself if I was to do aperture priority?

What flashes as a warning will depend on which mode is selected but basically it was telling you your image wouldn't be correctly exposed.
That might be what you wanted of course.
On an overcast day or near sunset you might achieve a long enough exposure without an ND filter just by upping the aperture number (making it smaller)
You only need about half a second but that would be too long for handheld as a rule.

To get those milky waterfalls you really need to use a Neutral Density filter.
I'm assuming you have set the camera to Shutter Priority.
The camera tries to chose an aperture to match the chosen shutter speed to give the best exposure.
If it can't, then the aperture setting will flash.

Another way to achieve the effect you want is to set the lowest ISO and a small aperture such as f16 or f22 but you really need to have the camera on a tripod.
Hope this helps ;)

nd filters now purchased. one of my favourite photo styles is water and waterfalls so im going to try everything I have to hand, starting with the filters. appreciate all the help guys

thank you really helpful. I did have it on shutter priority yes.

using the lowest ISO and small aperture would I need to change the shutter as well or would that look after itself if I was to do aperture priority?

In Aperture Priority the camera will select the shutter speed.
Some cameras only go as far as 30 seconds so in this case you would need to go to BULB mode and open and close the shutter manually preferably with a shutter release.
30 seconds would be too long for waterfall and river shots though.
Have fun experimenting ;)

go to BULB mode and open and close the shutter manually preferably with a shutter release.

Or save yourself some money and use the self-timer :) though at long exposures even that makes no difference really as virtually nothing records in the first few seconds by which time the camera isn't moving anyway. Avoiding camera shake on exposures is only really necessary from shorter than a few seconds, rarely longer

@paulvickers173 welcome to photography :) I'm sure you'll have LOADS of fun and frustration lol. The best way to ask for help is to also post a photo showing what you're achieving and trying to achieve, along with the settings used so others can understand and reply with more specific help - enjoy :)

Dave

Or save yourself some money and use the self-timer :) though at long exposures even that makes no difference really as virtually nothing records in the first few seconds by which time the camera isn't moving anyway. Avoiding camera shake on exposures is only really necessary from shorter than a few seconds, rarely longer

@paulvickers173 welcome to photography :) I'm sure you'll have LOADS of fun and frustration lol. The best way to ask for help is to also post a photo showing what you're achieving and trying to achieve, along with the settings used so others can understand and reply with more specific help - enjoy :)

Dave

Good idea but not in BULB mode surely :thinking:
In BULB mode I have to stop the exposure manually when it reaches the desired time

Back