Flatbed scanner with medium format scanning

Edit My Images
No
Stumbled across this site whilst bored at work, I've been into photography for a fair few years now and own a canon 400d DSLR however I think over the last yaer or so i've had it out 2 or 3 times. In an attempt to get myself back into photography I decided to take a step back and get a cheap Lomo Holga camera to try and get some creativity back.

It's great fun but costing me a load in 120 and 35mm film, developing and printing. To try and save a bit of money I'm looking at getting a new flatbed scanner which will have the capabilities to scan medium format and 35mm film.

Could anybody offer any advice or recommendations for scanners that have this feature, I dont want to spend too much, I've been looking at the epson perfection 4490 which seems to be around £120 new, wouldnt want to go any more than this although would consider second hand.

Any help appreciated.

Simon

Thanks, The V700 is way out of price range, the V500 looks very similar to the 4490, would there be any point in going to the V500 bareing in mind that Id be using it for scanning film from messing about rather than scanning for the highest quality in scans?

4490 is a decent enough scanner, the epson scan software it comes with was better than I expected, I didn't have to use anything else.
Sharpness and blacks detail have been an issue with every scanner I've used, although I don't think they will be a problem with Lomo negs...:D
I think the 4490 is great value for £120, and a very capable scanner.
There are a few of my 6x6 scans from this scanner kicking about on here...god knows where now :LOL:

If you can find one in the UK the Genius ColorPage-HR3200 does up to 120/220 transparancies.

SOunds good, Can you scan multiple frames of medium format at a time or is it a single frame process? Although only having 12 exposures per film isnt too bad if it is.

I've also been shooting some 35mm through my holga so that the whole height of the film including above and below the winding holes is exposed, using the 35mm scan attachment does this crop any of the film?

The 4490 scans 2 6x6's any bigger like 6x7 or 6x9 and its only 1, dunno about 645...don't think you can fit 3, can't remember.
I didn't do any 35mm, but I think the mount covers the holes so it just scans the 35mm frame.
You could put the 35mm film in the M/F mount, and get the holes scanned..but the 35mm mount is designed to support the sides of the film to keep everything flat, could work ok though with no side support in the M/F mount..

Joxby, I thought that may be the case for scanning the 35mm.

ab$olut - They look good but its looks like your lomos have been cropped along the top and the bottom, is that cropping that the scanner does?

The 4490 is looking better all the time with the range of negs it can handle, it's been around for a while now but the only competition (the Canon 9950) doesn't seem to be sold any more.

Joxby, I thought that may be the case for scanning the 35mm.

ab$olut - They look good but its looks like your lomos have been cropped along the top and the bottom, is that cropping that the scanner does?

no it was just me being lazy I think and not changing the mode :LOL:

Back