Flickering highlights when shooting raw

Edit My Images
Yes
I don't quite know how to describe this problem but hopefully I can make sense out of what I'm seeing, so here goes.

When I shoot in raw, the image on Live View flickers all over the place so that you really cannot view the image properly. The highlights are worst affected; they're what flicker.

Is this something to do with the speed of writing such a large file to the card, or does it sound like a problem with the camera itself? Its still under warranty so I'd like to be sure there isn't something wrong with it. It only happens when shooting raw, never with JPGs.

thanks for any input

They're blinkies, highlight alert, enabled in the menu. Leave them on!

They are the best and easiest guide to exposure you can get. They blink white/black on areas that are blown or on the brink of blowing. Reduce the exposure to reduce or eliminate them - don't just turn them off, or you'll get over exposure.

Though it's often hard to get rid of them completely, or even desirable, as some bright areas like sky or reflections, shiny white surfaces etc, will be blown anyway even when exposure is correct. But at least you know where those areas are, and can make a judgement.

Thanks so much for that everyone. Sure enough it is sky or white walls which are affected. It didn't even occur to me that it might be this (hides head in shame!!)

If we're talking Nikon here (on me phone so can't see your kit bag) when you're reviewing your images, pressing up and down in the d-pad should scroll through blinkies, histogram, AF points used, image settings, and a screen where just the image is shown. When you soon in at any point, all additional info dissapears so you can inspect the image better....

Back