Flickr adding tags - is it just me?

Does it even need sorted though? Does it make any difference to you if they have incorrect tags added?

Well, if I do a search of my images for 'train' I now have about 90 images of buses, buildings, cars, signs in addition to 20 or so actual photographs of trains. Amazingly, I do use this kind of search of my own Flickr stream every once in a while.

If the error rate for this tag is applied to everyone else, then it's going to make tag searches pretty useless.

If I didn't care about them being correct, I wouldn't have spend the time putting the correct tags I wanted there in the first place. I mean, what is the point if it's just going to add a lot of random noise?

Am I just supposed to shrug my shoulders?

Those were genuine questions I was asking, from someone who doesn't have as many images uploaded and I've never performed search on them. Thanks for explaining why it matters.

I've stated earlier in the thread that I agree there should be an opt out option for those that don't want them there.
To me it makes no difference and I'm not going to be complaining to Flickr over a free service I use.

Those were genuine questions I was asking, from someone who doesn't have as many images uploaded and I've never performed search on them. Thanks for explaining why it matters.

I've stated earlier in the thread that I agree there should be an opt out option for those that don't want them there.

No problem here with either of those points

To me it makes no difference and I'm not going to be complaining to Flickr over a free service I use.

And I continue to pay for a Pro subscription that I've had for the better part of 10 years now, not to mention the time spent putting images on Flick in a proper structure, so I probably have rather more invested in it.

Suck it up and enjoy that you are participating in the ultimate downfall of the human race :)

Think a massive Neural Net, learning through trial and error; it guesses, we correct, it learns! You're teaching SkyNet to see for gawd's sake. If you love humanity, remove all the 'people' tags :)

Except this SkyNet is the sloppy, unprofessional one. And there are other SkyNets that are at the cusp of technology.

Out of interest which are those then?

I'm pointing out that if we are involved with some futuristic Ai system, it's doesn't automatically mean it is going to be run professionally, using the best tech available. So imagine SkyNet in the future, but run by a bunch of cowboy builders. Hence the hilarity of theses results.

So no alternative that is better then? How disappointing ...

Maybe there is something better today. I only use it because there are apps for Flikr on all my devices. Not because of its functions. A lot of people end up using things because of compatibility rather than functionality. Making it hard for smaller competitors.

But Furtim was imagining a dystopic future. And I was imagining if that was run by Microsoft (of a few years back) or something where it is perhaps not all powerful. Imagine if Terminator would bluscreen.
Anyway an important message in the Terminator films was that not all technology is good. And my take is that not all technology is applied competently. Never have blind respect for it. Even if it is all we've got.

Last edited:
It's remarkably unprofessional of Yahoo, whatever their purported focus.

I have no need of their tags. When I upload to Flickr, I'm quite diligent in tagging the species, time, season, year, and other particular characteristics that would help me or anyone else to find the photo later on. I don't need "outdoors" added, no. I definitely don't need "pets" added.

If they'd chosen to make this an offer, absolutely, cool! Click and accept, great. Or even click to accept all their offerings, if they seemed relevant to your work. But this? It only makes for having to remove them manually, for each uploaded photo, with no option provided to prevent them to begin with.

Surely, we can agree on the utility of having these as optional? You want them, you get them; I don't want them, I don't get them.

One problem with that would be that many would accept the option, thinking it would be good. Only to discover the errors. Although that could be solved by a Deactivate option that would remove all automatic tags.

Last edited:
I'm going to leave them on! I never use them and almost all my photos on there are set to private anyway so mistagging makes no odds to me. IMO the weird tags are quite funny more than annoying.

Back