Flickr Geotags

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
I often use the world map - explore thingy on flickr to see what people have shot from certain locations. I've noticed that there is often barely anything showing even at quite popular spots. I've also noticed that images that I've geotagged don't show up if I just explore that area either. Anybody know what's going on there?

I thought that you had to map-link your images manually within Flickr? Ie it's an option down to you. "Add this photo to your map", on the right of the image page.

I thought that you had to map-link your images manually within Flickr? Ie it's an option down to you. "Add this photo to your map", on the right of the image page.
If your camera (or something else) adds the GPS location data to the EXIF data of the image, (and nothing in your processing of the image removes it), then Flickr picks it up and uses it if you have that option set. No manual entry required.

Thanks chaps.

I'll use this as an example.

This pic is geotagged (manually). And I can see on the map next to the exif data on flickr where it was taken. I assume others can too? If I was to go onto explore and world map on flickr and navigate to this area and refresh, my pic would not show on the map. And in fact I can only see one or two pics anywhere near here but I assume flickr will be stuffed full of geotagged images around here. So I just wonder why certain images make the world map and others don't.

Light over Thirlmere by G.A.D, on Flickr

When I click through to what you describe above on the image page, I get 386 images in the Threkeld/Thirlmere/Troutbeck area!

EDIT-
I have clicked on a few of them but I cannot see your image, now I have 716 images in that area!

Last edited:
I clicked on your image, then on your Flickr image I clicked on the spot on the map where Flickr said it was. Flickr pretty instantly gave me 716 images in the same local area.

Thanks folks. I can see 716 images if I'd just clicked on the map. If I zoom in to a narrower area where this photo was taken, I see barely any. But I think you're both saying that my image isn't one of the ones you see anyway? That's the bit I'm curious about. Why some images appear others don't?

If you use Jeffry Friedl's flickr uploader from lightroom, you have the option to include or indeed remove the geotags prior to export. Personally I leave them in.

If you use Jeffry Friedl's flickr uploader from lightroom, you have the option to include or indeed remove the geotags prior to export. Personally I leave them in.

The image is geotagged in Flickr. It just doesn’t show on the map if you browse to that location.

The image is geotagged in Flickr. It just doesn’t show on the map if you browse to that location.

The thing is that the map can only show so many images per location because some locations have so many. I suspect they use some kind of algorithm to decide whether to include an image at a particular location.

The thing is that the map can only show so many images per location because some locations have so many. I suspect they use some kind of algorithm to decide whether to include an image at a particular location.

Yeh, I'd expect it to be using the Explore algorithm to show you them in Flickr's calculated most popular order.

Back