Flickr in 2024: Dead or Alive?

• Thread starter Deleted member 97732
  • Start date
think you've missed a lot of points tbh Chris. There are various reasons why people post on different forums and it's not usually for likes, a few below;
I'm sure I'm spot on especially here same image across 2 or 3 forums / genre . It doesn't bother me, if they want to collect likes. Personally I tend to ignore any further postings of the same image, once I've seen it. Maybe others do the same ? I've no idea.

I'm sure I'm spot on especially here same image across 2 or 3 forums / genre . It doesn't bother me, if they want to collect likes. Personally I tend to ignore any further postings of the same image, once I've seen it. Maybe others do the same ? I've no idea.
In general people are either lazy or busy, i'm a bit of both. I appreciate an image being in 2/3 sections as I would probably have missed it otherwise. I tend to look at images in the talk equipment section more than anywhere, it could be argued that images shouldn't be posted in there, saves me time as I don't need to look at the actual photo sections that often.

saves me time as I don't need to look at the actual photo sections that often.
That's something else that I find curious and you are far from alone in that.

off topic!
I’m surprised at the amount of photographers on flickr (and other sites too)giving their photos away for free. Most of the pictures are downloadable, with high resolution options available. Im generally going off putting images online, it’s so easy to snatch other people’s photo nowadays. We’re feeding the “beast “ :p
Personally i prefer “likes” from people that see my pictures framed.

Reactions: Nod
This isn't a personal rant, but your post stimulated me to say that concerning a photograph, whether online or face to face, the word 'like' is so innocuous that it's effectively meaningless. I suppose that it existed long before the internet, but via the internet it's become a disease.

If someone 'likes' something, how do they 'like' it? Where have dialogue & communication gone?

I think that mostly, our attention to any particular thing may be casual and glancing - after all, there's so much material (and so many issues!) in the world that we have to filter it all. That's natural. But what's the point of a platitude?

Last edited:
The philosophers and wordsmiths are out in force tonight, my contribution, where for art did thou take that s***ty photo ?

Thanks for posting this, I was considering recently if Flickr is still worth it (although I’d not visited the site). I deleted all my social media last year and have been questioning my photography motives having lost my mojo for quite awhile and used to love Flickr for inspiration!

The philosophers and wordsmiths are out in force tonight, my contribution, where for art did thou take that s***ty photo ?

I just get ticked off when people grumble about 'like'. Not every picture is worth a comment, and even for those that are, often things don't go beyond "great picture". Few indeed offer any kind of critique although I very much appreciate those who do.

A 'like' is the giving of approval to something about which you do not necessarily wish further communication. That's it.
But why bother, since it communicates so little? So little, in fact, that it can easily be interpreted as a dodge from engagement (which your comment implied) - or just a vapid exhibition of mindlessness. It leaves everything hanging in the nothing space. Or in fake modern terms, the metaverse ....

Thanks for posting this, I was considering recently if Flickr is still worth it (although I’d not visited the site). I deleted all my social media last year and have been questioning my photography motives having lost my mojo for quite awhile and used to love Flickr for inspiration!
I think that it might be a common thing to lose your mojo, so don't beat yourself up about it. For me, seeing other people's stuff anywhere can be an an informative stimulus, if I deem it worthy in some way that satisfies me.

I don't really want to tinker with language, but you said inspiration, and if I can be allowed to run with that, I have the bent that inspiration is personal - it comes from within. Be your own dynamo. But maybe I'm being too cruel. No human is an island.

Photography is a historical invention that's mutated a bit technically without necessarily becoming artistically deeper. On the side though, along the way, it's bloomed out into the huge realm / cesspit of consumerism.

If you choose to, I think that you have to just do it (photography, when you're in the mood, even sporadically), & see what happens. At times it might feel like there's motion, & at other times you might lose your wellies in the mud & wonder what's the point? Over decades, it might begin to seem like something that's still growing - or just an aberration that you might as well have not bothered with. Or something that you did at a certain time & still has value as a personal reference / archive.

I suppose that it all relates to life in general. When are we lost, & when are we found? And how?

Last edited:
I just get ticked off when people grumble about 'like'. Not every picture is worth a comment, and even for those that are, often things don't go beyond "great picture". Few indeed offer any kind of critique although I very much appreciate those who do.
Just don’t understand why some have a problem with a simple tool that allows you to show appreciation of an image or approve of a comment quickly and efficiently.

Just don’t understand why some have a problem with a simple tool that allows you to show appreciation of an image or approve of a comment quickly and efficiently.
The problem is that it leaves almost everything out. It's too glib to be believable - and thus, being full of doubt, 99% meaningless.

If a loved friend said it, face to face, you might understand (and value) something by knowing the provenance of the remark - but from a stranger, zilch. It's just too uncommunicative and thus better not said. Unless we all want to be airheads.

Last edited:

Do it. I've decided to go all in on social media (business accounts/pages not personal) this year and that includes Flickr. After reading the responses in this thread it seems many people do still use it so I'll give a shot, but only for 1 year.

And I mean really using Flickr properly - tagging photos, writing descriptions, organising albums, joining groups and interacting with people, AND I think it's important to disable downloads.

If January 2025 comes around and Flickr turns out to be total s***, then I'll just delete the account.

But why bother, since it communicates so little? So little, in fact, that it can easily be interpreted as a dodge from engagement (which your comment implied) - or just a vapid exhibition of mindlessness. It leaves everything hanging in the nothing space. Or in fake modern terms, the metaverse ....
There are other options to a 'like' on here to express a little more. Like the 'Wow' face I gave your post. :)

Smileys/emoticons are all part of expression in the digital age. Some people communicate almost with them.

I'm on a forum where the 'like' function was decided against. So if someone posts something I want to express my agreement with but have nothing further to add I'm forced to quote their post and add a thumbs up. Which just clutters the thread up.

I see a like in the same way I see a nod from a stranger.

Whether passing in a quiet street, holding a door open, letting someone out of a junction or whatever, the simple nod is a non-verbal approval. However slight that approval, it's still saying "You seem alright/I appreciate what you did". The situation doesn't call for anything more.
To me, a like indicates the person thought it was "pretty good". The sort of thing that might make you raise your eyebrows, maybe even exhale slightly through your nose, or maybe it illicits no reaction whatsoever, but the person knows enough to appreciate the technical effort that has gone into it. I often like photos where I can see that a lot of effort was put in, even if I don't particularly like the artistic style of the photo.

So yeah, I see likes as "not bad", people that really like it will comment.

The only time I've done this is for my motorsport work. I'll put a post in the motorsport forum, but then also put the images in the massive Fuji X owners thread. I think that's valid as many people in that thread wouldn't look at the motorsport forum but are interested in images shot on Fuji

But what about the serial “"likers”, the people that "like" every single post in a particular thread. They seem to give a "like" purely for the sake of giving a "like", regardless of the quality of the picture that they are “liking”. It doesn’t matter whether the picture is good, bad, or indifferent, they will "like" it. To me that just seems to devalue the value of a "like".

Well i “liked” your comments :).
A like isn’t as bad as it sounds.
But if someone wants to take photography further as an artist, then “likes” are truly meaningless.
I’m liking some photos here but it doesn’t mean I’m interested in the subject.
Besides photography, I paint. Usually the paintings I prefer are the ones that don’t sell. And the ones i don’t expect to be sold go first. Why? It’s because of the subject.
Likes are only bad if the “Artist” depends on them to get motivated.

:LOL:NUFF SAID:p

There are other options to a 'like' on here to express a little more. Like the 'Wow' face I gave your post. :)

Smileys/emoticons are all part of expression in the digital age. Some people communicate almost with them.

I'm on a forum where the 'like' function was decided against. So if someone posts something I want to express my agreement with but have nothing further to add I'm forced to quote their post and add a thumbs up. Which just clutters the thread up.
(y)

Now i feel bad for “liking” comments haha

But what about the serial “"likers”, the people that "like" every single post in a particular thread. They seem to give a "like" purely for the sake of giving a "like", regardless of the quality of the picture that they are “liking”. It doesn’t matter whether the picture is good, bad, or indifferent, they will "like" it. To me that just seems to devalue the value of a "like".

It's up to the viewer to decide on what level of response they want to give, and the recipient to decide if it's meaningful.

There are a few threads where almost every picture posted gets a like from me unless it's poor as a recognition of participation. Occasionally an image will be outstanding for me and I'll comment positively about it. Sometimes an image could be better and I'll try to post critique. There are also some posters who always say the same thing in reply to any comments left, and for them I no longer try to comment because no meaningful response ever comes back.

If there were no like button then I might either ignore or post a meaningless happy message. This is just neater and easier while still retaining an ability to add a personal recognition.

I am probably one of the hated serial likers... But the way I see it is that if everyone who "liked" an image shared a comment along the the lines of "I like it" or "Nice pic" etc that just means everyone has to scroll past those posts to get to the more relevant ones. "Likes" are collated in a tidy bar under the post.

Back to the original topic, something that I do not like (intentional) about Flickr is that their "like" mechanism, the "Favourite" stars, imply that something is your favourite, which to me is a higher threshold than "like".

Maybe I “like” the effort someone has made to go out and take a photo then share it, it’s not all about technical excellence, there’s plenty of people on TP who never post anything outside of their little bubble where they argue with other members, hot topics is a good example of that.

off topic!
I’m surprised at the amount of photographers on flickr (and other sites too)giving their photos away for free. Most of the pictures are downloadable, with high resolution options available. Im generally going off putting images online, it’s so easy to snatch other people’s photo nowadays. We’re feeding the “beast “ :p

Mild irony in me "liking" that post!

Like you, I much prefer sharing my shots in print form rather than a low res version on assorted screens. Never had an image ripped off/borrowed/used from a print, either!

Whether passing in a quiet street, holding a door open, letting someone out of a junction
But I always say thank you and smile if someone holds a door open, obviously this is impractical when driving but I'll always raise a hand.
(Or a couple of fingers as appropriate :D )
The only time I've done this is for my motorsport work. I'll put a post in the motorsport forum, but then also put the images in the massive Fuji X owners thread. I think that's valid as many people in that thread wouldn't look at the motorsport forum but are interested in images shot on Fuji
Maybe I'm more aware of this happening, because I check out all the forums, where most people will stick to a couple of their favorites.
there’s plenty of people on TP who never post anything outside of their little bubble where they argue with other members, hot topics is a good example of that.
"like" :D
FYI it actually took 6 days, after it was back open after the seasonal break, for posts to start appearing.

Maybe I'm more aware of this happening, because I check out all the forums, where most people will stick to a couple of their favorites.
Probably yes. I'd never start multiple threads in multiple forums, I just re-post in the Fuji X Owners thread which as you know is sort of a running image sharing / discussion thread.

Probably yes. I'd never start multiple threads in multiple forums, I just re-post in the Fuji X Owners thread which as you know is sort of a running image sharing / discussion thread.
I know :)
Going back a few posts, It wasn't starting multiple threads I meant, but a few that post the same image across a few forums, and tag them.
I see that " multiple tagging" images in Flickr may serve a purpose, but there is little point ( apart from collecting likes) in doing it here.
I doubt that many people search by tags here.

When all is said and done this is a photo sharing / discussion site.
The more the merrier (y)

Mild irony in me "liking" that post!

Like you, I much prefer sharing my shots in print form rather than a low res version on assorted screens. Never had an image ripped off/borrowed/used from a print, either!
Plus it’s a completely different experience looking at a print rather than a screen:hungover:

Reactions: Nod
But I always say thank you and smile if someone holds a door open, obviously this is impractical when driving but I'll always raise a hand.
(Or a couple of fingers as appropriate :D )

"like" :D
FYI it actually took 6 days, after it was back open after the seasonal break, for posts to start appearing.
One can only presume they were busy rucking elsewhere lol

Hmmmm if I comment on a post on there from people/ friends I follow and Fave it as well that means the photo imho is really good

if I just fave a photo it’s just good / acceptable ..

if I look at a photo and do nothing it’s akin to mrs browns “ that’s nice”

posting your own photos on there gives you a pretty fair idea if your doing any Good or not as well if you use the stats properly . And makes you realise that sometimes a title is more popular than a picture . I.e one of my most viewed photos is starlings on a bird feeder titled “ the Welsh swingers association “

Last edited:
Really don't understand the contempt towards "likes". Communication online is mostly text based so we needed a way to leave an acknowledgment - thumbs up, a nod, a wink, a wave all translate to the like button.

I think there's a difference between 'liking' a message post - as in this very thread, say - and 'liking' a picture. With the message, it denotes a measure of agreement with the message content, with the words there as reference. With a picture, I'm unclear what it means, if anything. It's too non-specific, the context is too loose.

Anyway, we do what we do ...

Really don't understand the contempt towards "likes".
When it was introduced here, about 12 years ago, it decimated proper interaction, as regards to comments on images.

I think there's a difference between 'liking' a message post - as in this very thread, say - and 'liking' a picture.

I think there's a difference between a post that's a picture with no explanation or whatever to it, and one that's a picture with it's backstory.

The former is only worth a 'like' at best, the latter may invite a more elaborate interaction. Although the value of interaction with people who you don't have an idea where they are coming from with their comments (especially those who never post any of their own photos) is doubtful IMO.

As for Flickr I used to use it to make posting photos on another forum easier and to keep up with what a few of my real world friends were doing. The forum's changed how it displays images negating the benefits of using Flickr, and most of my friends have stopped putting photos up. So when the price shot up I've given up on it.

When it was introduced here, about 12 years ago, it decimated proper interaction, as regards to comments on images.

I have noticed a general decline in crit and comments about pictures generally in the 10 years I've been here. It now feels like a community centred around photography rather than a bunch of photographers with a bit of community.

Back