flickr p***ing about with pro payments

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
just had notification from flickr that there changing payment processors and they want us to update our credit card info , mines not due till November but if I update now they will take payment immediately .. not doing anything at the moment and wondering whether to just dump PRO and go on to a supposedly free account .
its been a while since the change to smug mug ownership and I haven't as yet heard of any alternatives unless anyone here knows ?

Mines due in Nov. Too Jeff, I've not had that email yet. And like you when / if I do, I'll wait to the very last minute.
Or maybe unsubscribe in the hope of getting "a deal" again ;)

and go on to a supposedly free account .
I've got both just the occasional ad on the free one, nothing too intrusive.
And I bet if you have a few email accounts, you can get a few free ones too (y)

Scam ?

I feel I invest far more in making their site interesting than I get benefit from.
Fair point well presented.

Although at £50 / year. I think its reasonable purely for image hosting to post elsewhere.

A free account is only 1000 images.
I and many others have far more than that on the paid account.
And I suspect that they are betting that people CBA to down load the images before they get deleted.

I have cloud hosting with BT, BB but I never use it, I'm distrusting of cloud storage especially when its "free" with another service.

Downloaded all of my images from there when they made the changes, of course I already had them scattered across various folders and HD but I grabbed them all to have in one place besides. I never minded paying $20 p.a for the old pro account but more than doubling it just put me right off. I don't use it near enough to justify, often going over a month without uploading on there and when I do it'll be 5-6 images max at any one time. I opened a second free account earlier this year and it's still only got 80 images. Pro account would be a complete waste on me

Last edited:
I've just looked and I have just over 2,500 images on there, in the Pro account
I already had them scattered across various folders and HD
Same here
.I guess I'd better start downloading ;)
I never minded paying $20 p.a for the old pro account but more than doubling it just put me right off.
I'm starting to think the same way with this last price hike TBH.

The charge is an interesting point though - does this really reflect the cost of a service like Flickr when you take ads and the subsidy they bring out of the equation? OTOH they ARE showing ads to non-paying users, so if the subsidy of adverts is enough to cover 1000 images, why shouldn't we all just go get half a doze disposable email addresses. I certainly don't need unlimited storage, and have around 1700 images up there, all carefully catalogued in my uploads folder.

I'd be happy to pay £25/year for say 25GB storage (however many images that was) but I simply don't need 'unlimited' (that they're banking on very very few taking literally).

Trouble is over the years I have accumulated around 7000+ images and getting on for 9 million views ,yep that’s right 9,000,000 .i have also made good money from it at times via pixsy ..

I don’t mind paying the yearly fee when it’s due but I object to being asked to update and be charged immediately when I have already paid .read there FAQ

hmmm as above ,exported/then/imported directly from my "photos " album on the i.mac . no loss of quality etc negates having to use FLICKR for image hosting and saves £50 + a year will try another one in a minute .. not going to help windows users but a way round for Mac owners

so go to " photos " where your pictures should be stored as finished j.pegs . bring up photo , go to "FILE" then export --export to desk top -- then simply drag and drop in to here ... just hope this doesn't take up to much bandwidth peep o'.jpeg

right heres the real test one from today ,never been on flickr straight upload/download as a j.peg from photos ..hmmm you do seem to lose a bit of i.q doing it this way theres probably a optimum size limitation somewhere thats needed . at least it does give us a option to mull over
all a  gaggle.jpeg

Last edited:
hmmm as above ,exported/then/imported directly from my "photos " album on the i.mac . no loss of quality etc negates having to use FLICKR for image hosting and saves £50 + a year will try another one in a minute .. not going to help windows users but a way round for Mac owners

It's easy enough to post to TP from Windows - just export at 1024 on the long side & then upload into the page at full size. Only 3 images per post instead of 8 however, and no linking to larger/higher quality images.

Bladon Bridge vintage lighter--2.jpg

It's easy enough to post to TP from Windows - just export at 1024 on the long side & then upload into the page at full size. Only 3 images per post instead of 8 however,

I think it's six pics per post when using the 'Attach files' button.

I've not had that email. I use PayPal so maybe it's better to use that as they then aren't storing any card details? I'd only update anything directly through the flickr site as the email sounds potentially scammy too.

Slightly off-topic, but I cancelled my Pro account last year and haven’t missed it (I’d paid for Pro membership pretty much since the option became available). I culled a load of old images to take it down to about 900. During lockdown I set up a private group for a photography group I’m a member of so that we could continue to share images until our monthly meetings resume, and that’s the only reason I still use it.

For me, it’s pretty much faded into irrelevance, but I can see that a lot of people still get a lot of value from it. Whether that’s enough to make it an ongoing, viable concern is open to debate. I get the feeling that successive owners just haven’t been sure of what to do with it and how to position it in today’s world.

Trouble is over the years I have accumulated around 7000+ images and getting on for 9 million views ,yep that’s right 9,000,000 .i have also made good money from it at times via pixsy ..

I don’t mind paying the yearly fee when it’s due but I object to being asked to update and be charged immediately when I have already paid .read there FAQ

What is the URL and sender's email address?

P.s. I get tons of these emails from Lloyds and Halifax. I have account... With neither

its not a scam it actually comes up as a alert on flickr . a long blue band at the top of your page

Superb shots Jeff
I haven’t posted pictures on here for ages Flickr stopped working for me and I never tried anything else
So can I just copy and paste from iCloud folder to here ?
Sorry I’m not very computer savvy :oops: :$

So can I just copy and paste from iCloud folder to here ?
You should be able to drop and drag or use the attach file button bottom left of the reply box.
But doing it that way they have to be below 500kb and 1024 px on the longest side.

You should be able to drop and drag or use the attach file button bottom left of the reply box.
But doing it that way they have to be below 500kb and 1024 px on the longest side.
Thanks mate that’s brilliant I’ll give it a go

I upload here at 1200px on the longest side and it works so long as the file size is within limits. :thinking:

I upload here at 1200px on the longest side and it works so long as the file size is within limits. :thinking:
But its being scaled down?

TBH some people can upload over the size limit, and some can't.
I've no idea why though :thinking:

But its being scaled down?

TBH some people can upload over the size limit, and some can't.
I've no idea why though :thinking:
I think it does get scaled down. I've never bothered checking TBH. Not something I fret over. :)

Back