Flickr sold to SmugMug

Flickr died back in 2013 for me thanks to yahoo facelift vision. It will be interesting to see if anything good comes out of the takeover.

If Flickr slows down to the speed of that 'together' doughnuts/biscuits or whatever link then a lot of people will be jumping ship. It took a good 3 minutes to load the whole page. Yawn.

I’ve had an email from them saying that includes the following:

Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account. You will still access Flickr with your current login credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience as you do now. We will continue to work to make your Flickr experience even better.

We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.

If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy.​

Which can be read two ways. Initially I read it as Flickr will be subsumed into Smugmug and get your photos out quick if you don’t want this, but on second and third reading I think it just means ownership will change for now.

I use Flickr to host albums of photos for groups - e.g. cricket teams or the occasional Parkrun. As someone else says this is instead of the creepy and useless Facebook (where your data is the product and their interface makes your work ephemeral in the timeline) but many groups think Facebook is their answer.

They're just changing ownership. If they just basically deleted flickr and pushed all accounts literally into smugmug there would be no business left. I'd think the terms and conditions will just change. They aren't the bad guys of the internet world.

I started using flickr because it supported using bbcode and embedding images which smugmug didn't. That social aspect is useful.

Question and answer from Flickr help forum indicates nothing to change....yet.

I got an email saying I have until May 25, 2018 to opt out of SmugMug’s Terms of Service and then my Flickr account will be governed by them. Explain please?

As part of the acquisition, all Flickr accounts will move to SmugMug’s Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. You have until May 25, 2018 to either either accept their Terms or opt out. If you do nothing in that time, your account will simply transition from the current Yahoo Terms of Service to SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy. If you don’t want to make this change, you can delete your Flickr account through your Account Settings. If you want to preserve a copy of your photos, be sure to download them from your Camera Roll first!

We encourage you to read SmugMug’s Terms in detail, as you would with any site where you host your photos. It is worth noting that SmugMug has prided itself on having very photographer-friendly terms without some of the standard verbiage and licenses that many platforms grant themselves to use your data in a way that best suits them. This is one of the reasons we’re thrilled to have found a new home at SmugMug.

Have you tried logging lately it is a mess

I have managed to login on an unsupported version of internet explorer but not an up to date decent browser

Last edited:

I have managed to login on an unsupported version of internet explorer but not an up to date decent browser
No problem logging on with Chrome here.

It sounds like Flickr will continue to exist as it offers different functions to SmugMug. What might happen as time goes on is that they work out a way to link Flickr content to SmugMug hosted sites or perhaps that paid Flickr accounts get the option of a SmugMug hosted site.
There's going to be something along those lines that will be used to bring photographers from Flickr to SmugMug therefore bringing more business and traffic to SmugMug.
SmugMug has been around for a while and now they have to compete with the likes of Squarespace who are really pushing for new business with all the youtube channel sponsorship they are doing, so SmugMug are likely looking at otherways to bring in new business.

Opera and firefox working fine for me.

I'm not sure what to make of all this "change" TBH, I'll think I'll suck it and see.

Just had a look at the smugmug site and their various plans and it doesn't look too bad. I don't pay for flickr and I'd rather not pay to have my images hosted but if that's what's our comes to smugmug doesn't look like a bad place to do it. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens

Last edited:
Just out of intrest, how does flickr make money. I've never noticed any ads, I don't believe they make anything out of subscriptions.

Just out of intrest, how does flickr make money. I've never noticed any ads, I don't believe they make anything out of subscriptions.
If you have a Pro account, you don't see the adverts. With a standard account, you get adverts in the feed and by the side of images.

Didn't use Flickr much so this was the prompt I needed to delete the account.

I used to really enjoy flickr but getting a lot of spam likes recently.

They click like on the first image in your gallery just so you click on their profile and look at their work.

I will probably wait for the switch over and give it about 3 months to see of its any good.

"breathing new life" ... why does that fill me with foreboding?
Didn't Adobe say something like that just before they made LR and PS a subscription service only!:eek:

Last edited:
I watched their video that supposedly explains it all and came away more confused than I started.

I used to see ads but they were so good and relevant that they I didn't want to upgrade to pro to get rid of them.

Back