Beginner Flickr: Upload (Almost) everything or just the best?

Posting to Flickr...

• Everything (except real rubbish)

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Everything 3* and above

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Only the best

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

For years I've been uploading everything for family and friends and also use as a bit of online storage, but would I be better just posting the better shots?

What are your thoughts, how do you use it?

Why are you uploading to Flickr at all? - the purpose will define the approach you need.

And remember that you can set images so that only you can see them, or various other friend/family options. So what you upload and what people see can be different things - so you can use Flickr for more than one purpose at the same time.

I use it to display images for use on web sites such as TP etc

I have my own web site for the better images that are for sale

Les ;)

Thanks guys - actually I do have a website (here) but I never got round to finishing it :)

Alastair - fair question - really just for the family to see the kids growing up and a little bit of showing off I guess.

If it's just for family sharing and you're not too fussed about courting for comments or fishing for favourites, then upload whatever you think the family will be interested in. I generally set any family-shared shots to be viewable by family only, and both sides of the family have been set-up with a Flickr account (and most of them do not use Flickr except to view these shots and similar by other family members). Having said that, of late most are now being shared as prints rather than online because the frequency of family get-togethers has increased (a flurry of significant birthdays).

If you were looking to showcase your photography, get specific feedback or to pimp your account for views/favourites/explores then I'd suggest being a lot more selective about what you upload.

@Steve-T: True, I do have a fair few sets - I hadn't thought of that oddly enough.

@Alastair: Its a good way of doing it, the problem I tend to have is taking 200+ images in a day and only ditching the out of focus stuff - which as I get better are getting less and less - I suppose I'm thinking would I want to trawl through all those even if I were an interested grandparent.

The funny about these threads is that almost just by posing and replying to a couple of people I get an idea of what I think I should do - hope no-one minds!

Last edited:
Sorry - cross posted!

I don't mind ;)

I started out uploading and sharing pretty much everything, I'm currently uploading and sharing almost nothing.. I'm sure I'll see-saw a few more times and settle on a happy average.

Personally, I use it purely as a hosting site for photos I want to post here or elsewhere. Friends and family get to see prints.

Have you thought about creating two accounts?

I thought about leaving my current account running for the usual photos/forums etc and then have another account and just upload my favourites to that?

Actually I do - well sort of - I've my "better shots" account and my wife hijacked family account (both in my sig) - it was just it dawned on me this morning just how many pics relatives would have to go through to see all the uploaded shots - like one where I have 20 some showing them playing at wave dodging (not big wave, just the incoming tide) right in he middle of a few other shots.

I upload anything I deem useful to my flickr. Ranges from my best shots to what I've been buying and even game screenshots for other forums I visit etc. I bin rubbish shots in lightroom, so uploading them doesnt happen. I use sets properly also with my shots to arrange them how I want them to be viewed, instead of the archaic newest first rubbish that defaults.

hehe, you want to see my sets - all lenses, cameras, some kids stuff - even a group of all lenses.. I couldn't be doing with the archaic photostream ether :)

you could make a secondary account, set to private for dumping all your pics (as more of a backup)
primary gets good ones..

For me, a shot has to have either aesthetic value, or sentimental value- otherwise I delete it completely.

I've got my own website for best images, I use pbase and Flickr for images I wish to share, for whatever reason. These may be something I think is good, or something I think may be of interest.

Really it's down to you as the reason for putting them there. I believe less is more. No one wants to wade through hundreds of shots to see a few good ones.

I upload stuff I might want to access from somewhere else. I do arrange things into sets, but I tend to use the privacy settings to differentiate between shots. While I just dump stuff on there and use it as on-line storage, I'll set random crap to private.

Thanks all - interesting to see the different ways people use their Flickr - in the end I went with the three star and above approach which for me seems to have worked well - thank you all again for helping me focus.

Back