Flickr Uploadr - Trojan

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Okay recently discovered the flickr uploadr :D , after a few days avast has detected some of the files as a trojan :razz:, im beginning to suspect that this is a false positive?:thinking: but could only find limited information on the internet.

Has anyone else had this problem before?:shrug:

19/11/2009 10:49:53 SYSTEM 1424 Sign of "Win32:Trojan-gen" has been found in "C:\Program Files\Flickr Uploadr\vcredist_x86.exe" file.

19/11/2009 11:11:05 ***** 1452 Sign of "Win32:Trojan-gen" has been found in "C:\Users\******\Downloads\FlickrUploadr-3.2.1-2009.06.02.01-en.exe\$INSTDIR\components\vcredist_x86.exe" file.

Oh forgot to mention that I downloaded the flickr uploadr from http://www.flickr.com/tools/uploadr/ so I would assume it was a clean version, unless flickr was compromised.

Set avast to lower level of heuristics. The vsredist_x86.exe is a Miscrosoft redistributable libraries installer and it is bundled with many standalone applications build with Microsoft development tools. Since you downloaded uploader from Flickr, I'd tend to trust them not avast (especially since none of the existing antiviruses trojan detections work reliably).

I believe you may lookup some information on Microsoft site and see if they have this file signed to verify that this version has not been tampered with.

Try another virus scanning program to confirm the results, Malwarebytes is a good example.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Just finished doing a thorough scan with malwarebytes, and found nothing :D i might download avg and run it in safe mode just to get it over and done with. I dont think its anything serious to worry about.

Set avast to lower level of heuristics. The vsredist_x86.exe is a Miscrosoft redistributable libraries installer and it is bundled with many standalone applications build with Microsoft development tools. Since you downloaded uploader from Flickr, I'd tend to trust them not avast (especially since none of the existing antiviruses trojan detections work reliably).

I believe you may lookup some information on Microsoft site and see if they have this file signed to verify that this version has not been tampered with.

Thanks for the heads up, I might dig into the microsoft website and see if I can find anything related.

funny you should mention that, i had an avast warning when i came back from lunch today.

I can only think of the new update that avast has downloaded, As I ran a thorough scan not so long ago with avast, and Im sure I had already installed flickr, so should've picked it up then.

I think its a false positive, but we can never be too careful I suppose, as I tend to do alot of internet banking, and so does my partner, so to be on the safe side, i'll take extra precautions for peace of mind.

Back