Flickr

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
why can you see some camera and settings in the info for some but not on others?

No doubt it’s been asked before but I find it a useful tool I.e cheat sheet

The user can select not to show it ... various reasons, genuine and otherwise. :)

Or you can save images without any EXIF data, only copyright, and as a result it wouldn't show up anywhere.

I think it is largely irrelevant. It is either done well or clearly f***ed up for whatever reason. If it quacks like a duck it probably is a duck. I prefer to keep it out of sight.

I know you are probably trying to compare different kits to check their quality. In many cases users do things to make it very distorted comparison. Just go to sites like http://www.opticallimits.com dpreview and others.

The film era gallumphed along successfully for over a hundred years without any exif data to be seen. I doubt if seeing exif data will improve your eye or technique much. It's up to you to do the leg work, there's no easy fix.

The film era gallumphed along successfully for over a hundred years without any exif data to be seen. I doubt if seeing exif data will improve your eye or technique much. It's up to you to do the leg work, there's no easy fix.
I seem to remember that way back in the last century National Geographic often included the EXIF data along with their photographs.

way back in the last century National Geographic often included the EXIF data along with their photographs
Ha! Yes, some publications did. But I think they only tended to note the camera settings (focal length, aperture, shutterspeed). As now, it doesn't tell you much about the lighting or the metering or the processing ...

I seem to remember that way back in the last century National Geographic often included the EXIF data along with their photographs.

back in the day there was probably a lot less elitism about using the latest and greatest. Medium format, such and such film was enough and everyone was happy looking at the images themselves. Now unless you shoot the latest Hassy, Sony A7R3 or whatever is the latest craze some elitist wannabe don't even look beyond the tag, or you get the really clever ones saying this is only 12MP camera or it is more than 3 years old; my phone has more MP so it must poo and won't purchase it. That is what you really want to stop.

Oh I’m not frightened of doing the work etc but I do think it gives a novice good reference points.

I used to think so too a while back.

But it doesn't.

It's all well and good knowing what settings were used. The trick is to know WHY they were used.

That comes with knowledge & experience.

I find my own EXIF data very useful. The most common use is when I've taken a lot of shots of something interesting from many points of view and focal lengths, so interesting that I mean to come back later with better lenses. I select the most interesting viewpoints etc., check the focal lengths, and decide which of my best lenses I should come back with.

Back