Beginner Flickr

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Good evening,

Why do my images appear so much sharper on Flickr than on other web sites? Is there a technical reason?

Many thanks
Simon

If you let Flickr do any resizing, it'll do another round of sharpening as well - not always a good thing (it can [and often does] introduce sharpening artefacts such as halos.)

If you let Flickr do any resizing, it'll do another round of sharpening as well - not always a good thing (it can [and often does] introduce sharpening artefacts such as halos.)

Ahhh, you know I've linked some flickr pics onto forums before using the smaller option and wondered why they looked different. Every day's a school day.

The way I work round it is to upload anything to Flickr after resizing to a size suitable for posting to the destination, for example this forum has a maximum size and file size limit (I forget exactly what now!) so I usually resize to 900x600 pixels and save at a quality that gives the required file size. No need for Flickr to resize and resharpen so artefacts avoided. Then again, I rarely post shots here anyway since IMO a decent size print is a far better option! I sometimes use the Upload a File button to upload a picture straight from my computer to the forum, again, after resizing and sharpening to suit.

1024 pixels on the longest edge ,though I sometimes use 1400 ,if it’s a upright or square either 950 or at most 1000

If by other sites you mean Facebook and/or Instagram, they're terrible for overcompressing uploads.

Back