1. sparker

sparker

Name:
    Simon
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Good evening,

Why do my images appear so much sharper on Flickr than on other web sites? Is there a technical reason?

Many thanks
    Simon

2. mickledore

mickledore

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Compression to fit the other sites reduces sharpness.

3. Nod

Nod Kronus

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    If you let Flickr do any resizing, it'll do another round of sharpening as well - not always a good thing (it can [and often does] introduce sharpening artefacts such as halos.)

NewBeetle and sparker like this.
  4. NewBeetle

NewBeetle

Name:
    Ant
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Ahhh, you know I've linked some flickr pics onto forums before using the smaller option and wondered why they looked different. Every day's a school day.

5. Nod

Nod Kronus

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The way I work round it is to upload anything to Flickr after resizing to a size suitable for posting to the destination, for example this forum has a maximum size and file size limit (I forget exactly what now!) so I usually resize to 900x600 pixels and save at a quality that gives the required file size. No need for Flickr to resize and resharpen so artefacts avoided. Then again, I rarely post shots here anyway since IMO a decent size print is a far better option! I sometimes use the Upload a File button to upload a picture straight from my computer to the forum, again, after resizing and sharpening to suit.

6. the black fox

the black fox

Name:
    Jeff
    Edit My Images:
    No
    1024 pixels on the longest edge ,though I sometimes use 1400 ,if it’s a upright or square either 950 or at most 1000

7. The W

The W

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
    If by other sites you mean Facebook and/or Instagram, they're terrible for overcompressing uploads.

metroman likes this.