Non UK Florence , Italy things to see

Edit My Images
No
Off to Florence for a weekend city break. Any tips on things to see as a tourist and photographer, also getting around? Is it all walkable or are there tourist buses like Barcelona has?

Any advice gratefully received.

Florence is walkable, but most of what you'll see are other visitors, I'm afraid. It gets very crowded. Giotto's Campanile, the tower next to the cathedral, is worth a climb.Try and get there at opening time - the queues can be ginormous. You can see the whole of the city from the top of the tower. The Ponte alle Grazie is a good place to get the classic shot of the Ponte Vecchio, which its self is worth a visit - lots of colourful people, and not all of them will be after your camera and wallet. Basilica di Santa Croce is where Dante and other famous Italians are interred, and is an amazing building with a terrific plaza. Crossing the river can get you away from the crowds, and a hike up to the Piazzale Michelangelo takes you through some nice stuff, and again gives a great view back over the city. The whole place is incredible, if only they wouldn't let so many bloody tourist in...the food is fantastic!

Enjoy.

Thanks for the reply Jon. Going with the family so probably not a lot of photography time but my camera will be with me . I like the skyline shots you see regularly of Florence are they
taken from the Piazzale Michelangelo? You obviously have been so perhaps you could advise me what gear to take. I have a Nex5n & 18-55 , Canon S95 or Panasonic FZ150. Will I need
the long zoom of the FZ or is wider better. The S95 is most portable but the IQ of the Nex is best by a fair bit.

First time to Italy so can't wait to sample the food!

Wide is likely to be more useful than long. I'd take the Nex. Quite a few places or skyline shots, there are a fair few towers and as mentioned the view from the other side of the river is great.

You can walk round the centre of Florence very easily IMO.

I like the skyline shots you see regularly of Florence are they taken from the Piazzale Michelangelo?

Quite likely. I don't have any photos at hand, but this is a sketch I did from the Piazzale Michelangelo in late 1995.

Firenze.jpg

A couple of other architectural highlights of note (although it's a tough choice in Florence, especially if you've only got a weekend).

Basilica di Santa Maria Novella by Leon Battista Alberti. If you like modern architecture, the 1932 Santa Maria Novella railway station that's just behind is worth a look.

Ospedale degli Innocenti by Filippo Brunelleschi.

The Uffizi is an obvious place to go for its paintings, though the queues can be hideous unless you're up really early. If you're into sculpture, try the Bargello.

Recommended Gelateria (ice cream shop): Perché no! :)

Cheap and good nibbles can be had at the Mercato Centrale. Lots of leather on offer in the nearby street markets.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Musicman -Perche no! now on the list, love ice cream!

Off to Florence for a weekend city break. Any tips on things to see as a tourist and photographer, also getting around? Is it all walkable or are there tourist buses like Barcelona has?

Any advice gratefully received.

Very jealous ;). Definitely a place i want to visit/photograph. I would like to combine with a trip to Mugello for the MotoGP.

Have a great trip.

I love Florence - my favorite city so far.

I'd do lots of research before going to get the most out of your trip.

Piazzale Michaelangelo is where the usual skyline pics are from - it's great up there. Walking is best. IMO.

Duomo/Bell Tower/Baptistry is a touristy area but stunning architecture. +1 for climbing the bell tower (Get your ticket form there first things - it covers entry to all three).

Piazza Singoria and Palazzo Vecchio is a stunning place to sit/wander.

Ponte Vecchio is an entertaining wander.

David @ Accademia is pretty cool.

Everyone will suggest Uffizi - but that's up to you if you like art or not. We went in but only visited three rooms.

Santa Croce is very interesting.

There's loads... just walking around is a pleasure!

Read the book 'Inferno' before/whilst you go.

Florence is lovely and we really enjoyed the sights and sounds of the place. There is an open-top tourist bus that you can go on and it does show you round the sights and sounds of the city. We took the bus ride and actually quite enjoyed it. It also helped us to identify some places which subsequently visited.
Have a great time - something for everyone.

Thanks for all the advice guys. What a fabulous city. Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't been. We also visited Pisa which we didn't like so much and also Lucca which was nice to wander around.

Florence now the favourite city I have visited.

Thanks again.

Ok, thank you. My friends said me lot of good words about this place and i'll try visit a Florence on this year.

Back