Flower girl... tried something different... thoughts?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

My daughter Heather, but this time I thought I'd splash a little colour in there with her, a nice bunch of flowers that were on hand came in useful here.

C&C welcome as ever...

p373031958.jpg

(y) works for me mate . if i was being picky id say a few less flower but thats just being picky ..
nice shot

md(y)

Thanks Dave, coming from you sir I am flattered. (y) Thanks.

the pose does look a fraction forced to my eye
I suspect if the rose were just across her lap it might work
but it's beautifully exposed
far better than I could do (y)

I am no pro at posing etc, so will leave that bit to others, but I would be tempted to just give it a bit of a whack on the constrast, just to lessen the slight palness it seems to have (in my opinion).

I hope you dont mind, but I had a little play in photoshop:
contandhueaa3.jpg

I saturated the colours slightly too :) It may be a bit over the top.

Think Mr.Lemons edit has improved the shot but think that the background needs to be sorted out a bit more - the ripples in the fabric are a bit distracting so I'd get rid of them. If you create a new levels adjustment layer over the image & use the highlight eyedropper to select the slight shading in the creases, that will blow out the background further. If you then remove the levels adjustment from your daughter via masking then you should be sorted imo (y)

Nice portrait though, well done (y)

Hi Moomike - 100% with you on this sir... see this thread.

I still have loads to learn and improve on, all that will I am sure, help me to present my pictures far more professionally. You are totally right in that the background needs a lot of work, but I was just very very eager, and I must admit... quite proud, that I managed to take these shots just 2 months into DSLR's, and only 2 days into studio flash gear.

I do recognise my weaknesses, and am more than eager to do something about them.

Apologies for the self praise... :)

Advice needed please moomike...

If you create a new levels adjustment layer over the image & use the highlight eyedropper to select the slight shading in the creases, that will blow out the background further.

OK, done that.. all works fine...

If you then remove the levels adjustment from your daughter via masking then you should be sorted imo

How do I do this...?

I really like it. I think JL's tweak helps the shot and I agree with Mike, it would be nice to get rid of the creases in the backdrop and on the ground by her foot. It has the potential to be a gorgeous framed portrait though.

Edit: I'd also clone out the distracting leaf under her knee ;)

Hi Musicman.
I've just had a look at your website. Seeing this picture and one if the first you posted on here, not that long ago, your photography seems to have come on leaps and bounds. You obviously take note of all comments good and bad and do something about it. I;m very impressed. Wish I'd got that much better in the time I've been on here.

Hi Musicman.
I've just had a look at your website. Seeing this picture and one if the first you posted on here, not that long ago, your photography seems to have come on leaps and bounds. You obviously take note of all comments good and bad and do something about it. I;m very impressed. Wish I'd got that much better in the time I've been on here.
Well that has, quite simply, made my day...:)

Thanks so much natjag for those kind words... speechless...

Hi MM

Nice effort indeed.

Try to have kids not quite so square on to you where poss, and on my monitor at least your shot's a little 'cold'; so if you did set your camera to WB Flash and it looks a wee bit blue to you too, just remember to dial in a bit more saturation and hue (-1 or -2 seems best to my eyes) to warm it up a bit - either that, or warm it up with the Photo Filter option in CS

Keep em coming - but iron the background:LOL:

Keep em coming - but iron the background:LOL:

Luv it... classic comment....:LOL:(y)

Cheers Dave... it's down to your teaching and mentoring that has enabled me to take these shots this last weekend mate. I'd not have a clue if it were not for your detailed explanation and the fabulous help and encouragement from all on here.

I owe you a pint :)

Advice needed please moomike...

OK, done that.. all works fine...

How do I do this...?

When you create your levels adjustment layer, a white box shall appear next to the levels symbol in your layers palette - just paint in this white box (make sure you click on it to select it first) with black (just use your paintbrush tool) where you don't want the adjustment to happen (ie. over your daughter) (y)

Im enjoying watching your progress here tMM but I agree with Diddydave ... the 'square to camera' body position definately spoils the shot.

I havent tried full length posing myself yet so Im guessing its harder than it looks with a million things to watch out for.

Maybe next time try sitting the person sideways to the camera while visualising making a 'triangle' with the body (one leg bent etc.)

Look forward to seeing more. :)

Nice colours, the background needs washing out so that the folds are not visible. I use colour dodge and pick out the colour from the darkest fold and run a big brush over at about 50% opacity.

I'd agree with all of the above - and that it is a very good portrait.

The pose does look a touch uncomfortable and the flowers a bit contrived. Maybe if there was a reason for them included... like an empty vase maybe?

My sincere thanks to you all for your enthusiastic, and very welcome feedback. I will most certainly take on board all that has been suggested, in fact - I've already tried the colour dodge hint to remove the folds and background creases etc... which worked fairly well - only due to my limited Photoshop skills. I'll re-work the image and post again within a day or so.

I'm learning so much from you guys, thanks a million.

Back