Beginner Flower photography

Edit My Images
No
Hi!
Would anyone be so kind to tell me how to get "dreamy" flower pictures, I guess this is post production?
Is it by holding the camera very low so vegetation gets caught on the picture as well?
Thx!

Simple terms, it's by using shallow depth of field. Focus only on the flower and everything else will blur out. Having good light helps. I rarely do much post processing on mine
1555399851712.png

1555399922333.png

1555400076322.png

OK and for something like this? Same thing? thx!!!
View attachment 242414
First things first, if that's not one of your photos, then you should only be posting the link to it (forum rules).
Back to the photo, there is a big background separation from the main subject and a smaller one to the flowers in the foreground. There looks to be a slight white vignetting as well or a plain white layer had been used in photoshop, with the opacity slider turned right down and maybe a mask to remove it from the main flower.
Most of the effect you see, will will have been done in post processing.

A lot of it is dark or light vignette and vignette blur which can be added with software later, can also add gaussian blur, orton effect can work well to achieve this look.
Most of these software based filters aren't an on/off switch but can be faded or only applied to parts of the image.

Or you can shoot through gauze - coloured or nude. I've tried it and it works fairly well although you can get the effect just in photoshop.
If you are shooting outside, try to get a single flower on its own, use the largest aperture you can (smallest f-number) to get shallow depth of field, and a tripod (then you don't have to worry about shutter speed if the light is not so good). Don't shoot on a sunny day as you get horrible reflections on the petals - a bright cloudy day is best. If you are shooting in your own garden, then you can stake the flower out of shot if necessary and/or bend other flowers out of the way. And don't shoot on a windy day!

Back