Flowers...any tips please?

EdinburghGary

Reply not Report
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Inspired mainly by Ducky, but others too, have tried some flowers. I am using 3 100 watt desk lamps on a white sheet. Any tips please? I can see there are various issues.

2494736837_087fb2b3a3_o.jpg

2495636320_40143ab03d_o.jpg

2494786061_f4dc6c7a79_o.jpg

2494807093_3511b3e963_o.jpg

2494846017_26e3b5913f_o.jpg

2494957947_f746170935_o.jpg

2495801650_965b8553e0_o.jpg

2495834396_c52f740fdd_o.jpg

2495870116_3d4790ab95_o.jpg

Will be trying more of these, probably from a different perspective, rather than lying them down, may use a mug to get a more natural looking stance...

C & C and tips on how to improve much appreciated. All taken with my 50mm...

Gary.

Last edited:
You need to sort out your post processing there are obvious snip and blend halos.
There are lots of blown bits.
Some spots on a few need cloning out.

Overall though, not too bad

I am no expert but i think they would look better with a dark backgroung due to the colours of the flowers being so vibrant??

Hey you read my mind, I have a leather tray from Tesco which is about to be used!!! I saved the tulips for it (I think they are tulips!)

I should have faced the flower "into" the space, but still much easier to PP that the white!

(image number 6 now in original post)

Also, that was shot at f2.8 - guessing if I use F4 (50mm), it will keep more of the flower sharp? Maybe even F8?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Last one for now 0 its amazing what you spot after you have taken the pic, yellow flower is totally lost lol.

*Image number 7 - moved to original post*

Last edited:
I do mine at f11, ISO 200, 1/200, diffused flash, off camera if possible, manual mode and manual focus. It seems to work OK and thanks to ajophotog for the advice he gave me on how to do this.

Manual Focus scares me, do you use the 50mm???

Gary.

I should have faced the flower "into" the space, but still much easier to PP that the white!

2494957947_f746170935_o.jpg

Also, that was shot at f2.8 - guessing if I use F4 (50mm), it will keep more of the flower sharp? Maybe even F8?

A bit overexposed me thinks but nice composition and the flower is a Gerbera variety. (I think)

Manual Focus scares me, do you use the 50mm???

Gary.

Yes I use the 50mm or the 50mm with Raynox close up lens when I want to get in closer. I was using the 55-200 lens but found it really difficult to hand hold steady, and also the flash gave problems with the shadow of the long lens. The 50mm nifty is much better. I still find holding steady when rocking back and forth to manualy focus is difficult so I try to lean on something to steady my elbow.

I love your last photo - it's really nice.:clap:

*image number 8 - moved to original post*

Stopping soon I promise :D

This hobby is forking addictive!!!

Last edited:
Gary, bet your local all night garage has run out of flowers by now! :D

Tesco ;) I went to the garage picked up two bunches, and the guy saud £3.58...I said thats awful cheap...

He said, yes the fresh ones are twice the price :D

Plastic bloody flowers....

Also, you should have seen my wifes face when I walked in with 3 bunches!!! She almost had a heart attack :shrug: (y)

Tips on flowers? don't look like you need much help, some fantastic work there! (you could always send me some flowers :shrug: :D )

*Image 9, moved to original post*

That's all folks!!!

This one could have done with a slight nudge to the left. Also, the reflections on the glass - are they a problem?

Last edited:
some great efforts there gary..picked up some angle poise lamps from tesco this afternoon (2x60w),and looking forward to experimenting with them and some flowers very soon.
i hope mine are as good as your shots :clap:

Get a 3rd, your gonna need it!! :D I have 3 100 watt and I struggled to get light in some shots :)

I think that I would clone out or at least burn out the reflections a bit as they do seem to catch the eye too much. I think the arrangement of the flowers could be improved a bit by varying the height of the tulips in the glass, they look as though you had just stuck them in (which you probably had as tiredness was setting in and in your hurry to try out your techniques) Still a nice photo though.

I think that I would clone out or at least burn out the reflections a bit as they do seem to catch the eye too much. I think the arrangement of the flowers could be improved a bit by varying the height of the tulips in the glass, they look as though you had just stuck them in (which you probably had as tiredness was setting in and in your hurry to try out your techniques) Still a nice photo though.

:LOL: Yup, not blaming being tired, just my attention to detail really sucks at times! :)

:hug:And your wife thought the flowers were for her.:nono: Play crafty, say they are and get her to arrange them nicely for you.:whistle:

Tried that, she smelled a rat instantly :D Doesn't help that its the first tine in 7 years I have bought them!!!!

:shrug:

you could try daylight or somtimes called craft bulbs there not cheap but will give you a better cast
yours gwh

Some lovely shots Gary. I use natural light for most of my flower shots and find it is the best for me and what I like. Using artificial forms of light requires you get the right sort and set it up properly or you can get some strange effects. You're a determined soul aren't you (y)

Some lovely shots Gary. I use natural light for most of my flower shots and find it is the best for me and what I like. Using artificial forms of light requires you get the right sort and set it up properly or you can get some strange effects. You're a determined soul aren't you (y)

Ta Ducky, very rarely take indoor shots during the day - bad weather being the exception...:) I will try some more with natural light if I get a chance over the weekend...

G.

Back