Fluke picture

Name
Donna
Edit My Images
Yes
This was taken by my son from the balcony at our wedding.
It was just a disposible picture, i think its great and even got it put on a canvas.
What do you think??

n603466203_1427678_4580.jpg

I suppose, technically it's rubbish! I really like it though. Really nice, almost oil painting look about it.

I suppose, technically it's rubbish! I really like it though. Really nice, almost oil painting look about it.

I like it too. According to the 'rules' it's all wrong, yet it looks very right to my eyes.

Sorry, but I've got to disagree about the rule breaking ;)

This for me is just so right. Ok, yes the composition is a little off. But this image is just so refreshing for me to see. Finally someone who has posted the image up recognising that its 'wrong'; but all those wrongs make it right!

IMO, you can break the rules so much that it just makes it right. Maybe I need :help: and I'm going :wacky:

Ok yes its got the motion blur - but that surely creates the emotion which is overriding in this image? Yes its underexposed - but doesn't that create the atmosphere? yes the composition is completely off - its not even on a third but it all works together! All I think is a slight crop to get rid of some black and not to put it on a third line.

Great job (y) and so what if its a fluke - it works. :D

Feel free to rant back at me about 'rules' and 'breaking them' :) Don't want to take over the thread though :)

Rules are meant to be broken.

Cool Photo.. it works!

Rules exist to be obeyed by fools and to guide the wise.. where you do stand?

I agree with much of what is already written above with regards to 'rules' because there are no such rules within the definition, there are just some well applied generalisations.

It is much like some of the togs who only ever take images with the intention of pleasing a judge in a competition. If that’s what floats your boat, that’s fine so long as they don’t try to suggest that such images re the only true form of photography.

Bottom Line: Do you like the image?

I do and so do many others obviously.

M.

I like it too - it has what so many pictures around here lack - spontaneity and passion!

An auto levels tweak in photoshop improves it though - have you tried?

Last edited:
Looking at it, it initially struck me as a picture that had been through photoshop, it has that stylized look about. I imagine some people spending hours to get a picture looking like that.

I like it too - it has what so many pictures around here lack - spontaneity and passion!

An auto levels tweak in photoshop improves it though - have you tried?

No its not been edited at all, just as it was shot .

I can post the tweaked version if you want to see it

Last edited:
This is a proper photograph - not because it is at all technically correct but it has captured a place, time and emotion which will never be repeated.
One of my favourite pictures on here for a while !

I LOVE this photograph ! Just goes to show, you don't always need the techinical know how... If I had worked for hours on an original image and achieved this, I would be a very happy bunny.Definetely one for the wall on big IMO.

I love rules - I always know to go in the opposite direction(y)

That's how I learn - and sometimes I learn to follow the rules :)

It's a wonderful image.

Call me a fool, but, how exactly, does this photo break the rules????? It's a great image, and i love it, but the couple is close enough to be on the thirds that rule is certainly not "broken." So what rules are broken? Not enough foreground? Not enough background? Bah, humbug. Classic painters were breaking those rules three hundred years ago!

I'm with Hunter on this, I cant see any rules being broken, compositionally it looks spot on, with intelligent use of extra space, the image highlights sit roughly on the thirds, lighting is lovely, and most importantly, it tells a story.

My preference for processing would be somewhere between your original and Andrew's edit, Andrew's provides a bit more clarity, while yours retains the mood.

And I don't disagree about breaking rules, as long as you are aware what the rules are before you break them :)

Wow - awesome photo :) Your son must have been on a lighting course AND a post processing course because that's what the photo looks like :)

I think this really comes across well, like was said previously, its almost like an oil painting and you can sort of feel the picture and emotion from it, who cares if its a fluke..i don't think there's a right or wrong in sense, as long as the end result is pleasing, which to me this is. I like :D

This is a proper photograph - not because it is at all technically correct but it has captured a place, time and emotion which will never be repeated.
One of my favourite pictures on here for a while !

I'll second that.

How many photographers wouldn't have gone for that shot because it shouldn't have worked.

So much for our £1000's spent on the latest and greatest equipment, goes to show it doesnt always matter.

How long has the rule of thirds been the only compositional rule?

It's not badly composed, it's well composed IMO, and that's why it works. The subject is attractively placed in amongst some negative space.

Also I totally agree with flukeman, most people would have moved on, looking for a technically better shot, myself included.

I really like it.

My son isn't even in to photography, he just took it by chance with a disposable camera by chance. I let him read your comments and he was chuffed.

I never comment on pictures on here really, but I have to say that this really is something special.. As said, technicality doesn't matter at all.. No point sticking to technical and compositional rules, most people don't. The original version of this shot is perfect in every way.

Kind of reminds me of the work of Wendy Bevan: http://www.wendybevan.com/

Oh bugger, If it was of my wedding I'd have printed it large as well, but i can't help but think of Argos the more I look, sorry.

Maybe most on here like it as much as I do is because its different and out of the norm.
There is a once in a lifetime mis chance that actually works and this is one of those times.
It just goes to prove that when technical ability -composition- lighting and everything else is thrown out of the window you can still get an outstanding photo. Well done

Realspeed

Back