Flying Scotsman

I like the timing and composition for both these images, but they seem over exposed and over-contrasty. Were these shot as raw or jpg - I'm wondering if any recovery is possible?

I think I won't crop both a little tighter.
#1 I would lose the white van and pipes.
#2 I would trim a little from the bottom so the track left the frame at the junction of the vertical and horizontal edges.
Other than that I like them.
Matt

Thanks for the comments guys. These are just two of a whole series in several locations in the area of the station. I have others as she came through the station towards me where I have less station and more train, but I wanted to show her in in the context of the WSR. Yes I could have done without White Van Man but I've already cropped to remove some huge builders bags lying trackside between me and the pipes. I think the overexposed/contrasty look is my processing, Toni. Because the engine/tender is too long to be turned round at Minehead she makes the run to Minehead (north bound) right way round and south bound tender first. The sky was overcast but bright, but that sort of bright sky that doesn't brighten anything else, and like it or not, raw or jpg, the scene in general was way beyond the DR of my camera and nothing I could do about it. I used a very light touch of tone mapping in the processing as I felt it brought out the details in the train better, otherwise it all looked a bit dull. I'm hoping to have the chance to go back on Monday afternoon and Tuesday, when I'll go up the Blue Anchor, where she'll be running west along the coast to Dunster. I didn't do that this time as I've tried photographing trains there before and it's been a disaster..... The forecast is showers on Monday, overcast on Tuesday :( I'm just pleased to get something that isn't quite a total disaster as I'm no train photographer! This afternoon I will be on the train waving to the photographers.

10/10 for effort,Jan. Those sort of bland skies are awful for getting any steam showing. The weather forecast isn't good at all infact I see Friday/Saturday are down for some thunderstorms.(MetOffice)

Tuesday looks the best day but it's the last day.

Back