Flying with cameras in hold luggage.

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
I am flying to the USA in a couple of weeks and want to take more kit than I can fit into my hand luggage. Would you trust lenses in a Peli (or vanguard) case in the hold? security would not be an issue as I would put the camera case inside my suitcase.

Only had to check my case twice, and it was a pelican, it survived.

If you must, that’s how I would do it.

Or fly BA, 23kg hang carryon. How much gear do you need?

You do know you have to leave your suitcases unlocked when travelling to the USA ?

I am flying to the USA in a couple of weeks and want to take more kit than I can fit into my hand luggage. Would you trust lenses in a Peli (or vanguard) case in the hold? security would not be an issue as I would put the camera case inside my suitcase.

Is it the USA where they have TSA operatives and they have keys to open any/all cases they wish............and were there stories I recall a while back of stuff going missing from travellers cases???

Is it the USA where they have TSA operatives and they have keys to open any/all cases they wish............and were there stories I recall a while back of stuff going missing from travellers cases???

Yes, you have to use TSA approved locks so they can open them to inspect inside luggage.

I would get a coat with plenty of pockets or one of those old style photographers vests

Yes, you have to use TSA approved locks so they can open them to inspect inside luggage.

I would get a coat with plenty of pockets or one of those old style photographers vests

Ah yes, TSA approved locks........now I recall one story I read.

The TSA openable locks are supposed to be "accessed evident" in that you as the luggage owner have visual proof that TSA opened your case giving you the opportunity to check the contents yourself before you leave the airport.

But the story I think I recall was that some TSA personnel worked out how to reset the lock to make it appear that they had not opened it.........in other words to disguise that they were ones that stole your property!!!!! :(

Before I first went over brought a pair of combat pants with the big thigh pockets, put stuff like cards, cloths and more in clear plastic bags and put them in the pockets (makes the scanner / x-ray part quicker). I would double check virgin's website to see what size you can take into the cabin as US flights seem to have more generous allowance than EU flights. The only other thing I can think of is try to get to be the first when they call your section to board as what the yanks take on board and cram into the lockers is surprising.

Before I first went over brought a pair of combat pants with the big thigh pockets, put stuff like cards, cloths and more in clear plastic bags and put them in the pockets (makes the scanner / x-ray part quicker). I would double check virgin's website to see what size you can take into the cabin as US flights seem to have more generous allowance than EU flights. The only other thing I can think of is try to get to be the first when they call your section to board as what the yanks take on board and cram into the lockers is surprising.
"Is that a 600mm f/4 in your pocket or are you just pleased to be here?" said the nice lady at the immigration desk. :)

I am happy with the TSA requirements and have no security concerns. My concern is whether the kit would be damaged in transit.

Tip, wrap the case round with duct tape for extra layer of piece of mind.

First leg mine was clearly dropped, so hard both latches were open but held closed by the locks on put on. On the return leg I wrapped duct tape round it 3 times. If they are going to open it, they will but at least it will stop the latches coming undone again.

I am returning to a swamp area in Florida and there are good opportunities to photograph ospreys and eagles and from experience of my last visit a 600mm lens would be an asset, this is what will fill the hand luggage. There are also plenty of other swamp subjects, snakes, gators, small birds etc which would benefit from a 100 -400 lens. A friend is letting me stay in a rental home they own and the payola for this is a good sunset shot if the opportunities arise. I could cut the kit down to a WA lens +100 - 400 + 1.4 extender, FF and crop body but when travelling 4000 miles it would be a shame not to get the best out of the visit.

I don't know if this is actually true because I've not tried myself, but I read on anther forum. Include a starting pistol in your Hold luggage and declare it as firearms. The luggage is then hand transferred for the trip.

My BIL is a (board) games designer and put his latest game into his hold baggage for an expo out there. Lo and behold when he arrived his case had been searched (non-TSA lock so it was just cut) and the game not quite ruined but not in any fit stat to showcase his talents.

As a (far too frequent) traveller I'd recommend anything of value going with you in the cabin, especially when flying to/through the US. Have you got a cabin case that maxes out your cabin baggage allowance? As the aforementioned frequent flyer my case is the max allowed in cabin baggage and will get me through 10days at a push. Buying a cheap expandable (after check in) case will be cheaper than losing a good bit of kit.

I know the area you are going to. I take my gear which is 7d2 and a 70-200f4 17-70 and my accessories in one bag and my poor wife has to to take the 150-600 in hers. Just so you know you have to take out the cameras now at security at Manchester

Or fly BA, 23kg hand carryon. How much gear do you need?
Regrettably BA have changed their rules on cabin baggage recently. They still allow two bags, and one of them can still be decently sized and 23kg, but they now say that only the smaller one is *guaranteed* to travel in the cabin with you; the larger one might have to go into the hold if there isn't space in the cabin. They specifically recommend that you don't pack valuable items in the larger bag.

I suspect that, if push comes to shove, telling them that you have £X,000 worth of fragile camera equipment in that bag might be enough to persuade them to find a different one to put in the hold. But I haven't tested this theory.

You do know you have to leave your suitcases unlocked when travelling to the USA ?
I didn't know that, are you certain?
I travel to the USA several times a year and the case is always locked with built-in TSA lock and I also put a tsa locked strap around it. Never had any problems.
I use a ThinkTank Airport antidote, Virgin have a 10Kg limit and I packed in body, 100-400, 85mm 1.8, 35mm 2.8, 16-35 f4, 24-70 2.8, flashgun and binos, all came in just under 10Kg. Chargers, tripod and cleaning stuff went in hold luggage. In the past I have packed in a body, 500mm f4 and a few other lenses but that was BA and not Virgin and that was Florida too.

I recently traveled back from Colombia via the US. In my hand luggage I wrapped all my camera stuff with clothes to keep it safe. At Miami they unwrapped it all and scanned it separately. My Tamron 150-600 mm lens they put on a little tray and it almost fell off!!
So if the same thing happens to you check that they treat it carefully.

Hire the equipment over there or look in to paying for a Media Bag.
Hiring equipment in a foreign country is going to be inconvenient. They're going to want a hefty deposit in order to prevent you just taking the lens home at the end of your holiday.

I am returning to a swamp area in Florida and there are good opportunities to photograph ospreys and eagles and from experience of my last visit a 600mm lens would be an asset, this is what will fill the hand luggage. There are also plenty of other swamp subjects, snakes, gators, small birds etc which would benefit from a 100 -400 lens. A friend is letting me stay in a rental home they own and the payola for this is a good sunset shot if the opportunities arise. I could cut the kit down to a WA lens +100 - 400 + 1.4 extender, FF and crop body but when travelling 4000 miles it would be a shame not to get the best out of the visit.

.... My Lowepro backpack takes a 500mm F/4L II, 100-400mm L II, plus 1DX-2 and 7D-2 bodies plus a few small bits and travels with me in the cabin overhead locker. The rest of my camera gear, including monopod, 2 tripods and a 24-70mm, travel in the hold in my Rimowa aluminium suitcase (very expensive but very very very excellent!). I don't know if its locks are TSA as I don't know what TSA is.

There ain't nuthin' better in my opinion : https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=56&v=wmMcRuLO2Nw

EDIT : I have just found out that my Rimowa case has TSA locks.... Of course! :D

Last edited:
We had hold luggage delayed twice (as in didn't appear on the other side). Our New York trip a few years ago, our luggage actually turned up when we were waiting for our taxi home 5 days later.

I'd check that your equipment is insured if in the hold as airlines have a maximum claim limit if something gets lost or damaged.

I'd check that your equipment is insured if in the hold as airlines have a maximum claim limit if something gets lost or damaged.

....It's far better to have your own insurance rather than rely on any insurance from the airline or merely just for the trip. Mine includes all my camera gear worldwide including in aircraft holds and all under my household insurance policy = Peace Of Mind.

I don't know if this is actually true because I've not tried myself, but I read on anther forum. Include a starting pistol in your Hold luggage and declare it as firearms. The luggage is then hand transferred for the trip.
True - but you'd need to show your firearms certificate.

Any Lithium batteries must be in hand baggage.

Any Lithium batteries must be in hand baggage.
Thanks for that, I didn't know that and almost had problems because of that. I wondered if batteries as a potential weapon (batteries in sock) would have to be in the hold luggage.

Thanks for that, I didn't know that and almost had problems because of that. I wondered if batteries as a potential weapon (batteries in sock) would have to be in the hold luggage.
I think the bigger worry is if they go on fire in the Hold whilst unattended. But yes, would be nasty to be hit in the head with a sock full of batteries. Could always put your socks in the Hold of course... ;).

I think the bigger worry is if they go on fire in the Hold whilst unattended. But yes, would be nasty to be hit in the head with a sock full of batteries. Could always put your socks in the Hold of course... ;).
Don't suggest it, I am not seriously thinking that they are a potential weapon. However I think they are a better weapon than a nail clipper which is banned!

At a recent trip, there was a glass container with banned items and I heard a boy say "Can we buy a pistol here?".

Could always put your socks in the Hold of course... ;).

After a 2 or 3 week gig mine need to be in the hold;)

Seriously, has anyone successfully used the lithium battery ploy over here to get an over-weight camera bag/case as carry on? I've heard of guys using it Stateside.

GC

I have my spares in either ziplok bags or little neoprene pouches on the straps. In hand baggage rather than the hold.

Before I retired (ex pilot) I spent best part of thirty years travelling and have visited most parts of the world. One very important lesson I learned in the early days is 'only ever put clothing and unbreakable items in the hold'.

You can only carry up to the cabin allowance in your bag, but you can easily fit another 10kg plus in your pockets. ;)

I am not going to put my charger in my case any more; a fellow club member had a two week holiday and most of that without his luggage... I don't know of any batteries that would last that long!

I don't know if this is actually true because I've not tried myself, but I read on another forum. Include a starting pistol in your Hold luggage and declare it as firearms. The luggage is then hand transferred for the trip.

....Firstly, as st599 posts above, a starting pistol requires a firearms certificate.

Having declared it and also provided your certificate, the airport security is going to be all over you and you'll get far more attention, guaranteed of the unwelcome kind, than your luggage being politely transferred by hand. You are likely to be detained and intensely questioned about what reasons you have for carrying a starting pistol at all.

So, whoever is advising such a course of action is a fool who needs shooting!

....Firstly, as st599 posts above, a starting pistol requires a firearms certificate.

Having declared it and also provided your certificate, the airport security is going to be all over you and you'll get far more attention, guaranteed of the unwelcome kind, than your luggage being politely transferred by hand. You are likely to be detained and intensely questioned about what reasons you have for carrying a starting pistol at all.

So, whoever is advising such a course of action is a fool who needs shooting!
As long as nobody is advocating shooting the messenger....

I am sure a well padded and wrapped case in hold luggage will be ok.
The security is what troubles me.
I know TSA have the approved locks, however over the years TSA do have a bad press about items being stolen. One YouTube video I watched a guy show how he cable tied everything together and formed an inter locking loops of cable ties.
I would cable tie that lens to everything inside your suit case. If you are not travelling alone then off load a lens to your travel companion, if going alone then cable ties is the way forwarded.

Back