Flying with lighting gear?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
2 out of 12 head and shoulder portraits I plan to take are in Guernsey, only just realised it's further out from the UK and it's typical to fly there.

I have a pair of CITI600, I do also have the bag featured here
https://www.essentialphoto.co.uk/product/pixapro-citi600-manual-battery-powered-twin-flash-kit/

I was planning to do all 12 portraits with a large beauty dish, but now I can't see how I could get that to Guernsey in one piece so will have to consider collapsible versions

I'm still not convinced about put this stuff in hold luggage, and wonder whether i should consider AD200 with some collapsible beauty dish.

any suggestions?

Or dive and sail from the nearest port - you can take whatever you need in the boot :)

I did last year and took an absolute ruck of camera gear- just a thought :)

Les

Or dive and sail from the nearest port - you can take whatever you need in the boot :)

I did last year and took an absolute ruck of camera gear- just a thought :)

Les

I will have a look at the ferry options, it was being Thought to be booked as a day trip so this might change things. 6 hour crossing? I’ll have a look

I will have a look at the ferry options, it was being Thought to be booked as a day trip so this might change things. 6 hour crossing? I’ll have a look

I went via Poole and the crossing via the high speed hydrofoil was around 3hrs 30 mins :)

Its unlikely you'll do it as a day return, the boat will go Poole - GY -JE then GY and back to Poole, turnaround in JE will be prob 2 hours max and the time to wait for booking in and customs etc will prevent that.

Certainly me recommendation would be to stay overnight and take all the kit you need, there's plenty of places to stay at decent rates.

Its unlikely you'll do it as a day return, the boat will go Poole - GY -JE then GY and back to Poole, turnaround in JE will be prob 2 hours max and the time to wait for booking in and customs etc will prevent that.

Certainly me recommendation would be to stay overnight and take all the kit you need, there's plenty of places to stay at decent rates.

Thanks, I'll price it up and tell the client.

If I didn't take the car, I'd only have to Taxi around anyway - i'd rather have my car and freedom

I went via Poole and the crossing via the high speed hydrofoil was around 3hrs 30 mins :)

Did it some years ago and the trip over was about that. The weather then deteriorated so the hydrofoil couldn't "foil" so it took rather longer and was unpleasant - the boat corkscrewed like crazy and about 50% of the passengers were puking. Not enough toilets either...

Reminds me of back packing trip many years ago, got a ferry from Piraeus to Haifa, think it took 3 days. Not enough toilets and lots of people sleeping on deck. Not enough toilets and needed wellies to go below deck, floors very slippy as well:puke:

It's not a hydrofoil these days, more a catamaran, still upset by high winds and rough seas, but if you take some homesickness tablets as I do, youll be fine, on my last crossing a month ago, they closed the duty free cos most of it ended up on the floor in a 10ft swell

It's not a hydrofoil these days, more a catamaran, still upset by high winds and rough seas, but if you take some homesickness tablets as I do, youll be fine, on my last crossing a month ago, they closed the duty free cos most of it ended up on the floor in a 10ft swell

He's only going for a day - doubt he'll get HOMESICK :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Recently had a headshot shoot in Vienna and had to fly there. My main issue was taking a backdrop (location didn't have a suitable natural backdrop), so bought one from Interfit that just about fits in a large suitcase along with lightstands and a folding softbox (normally use a large octo but that didnt fit). Plus a fold up reflector. Lights went into cabin bag with camera.

Back