Flying......

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Is it safe for my 60d and lenses to be packed in their camera bag inside a suitcase in the hold on a plane or would that be a crazy idea?

We are flying to Australia and we are quite limited for hand luggage space.

Not sure what to do!

Depends if you pack them in something like a pelican case first, but I would say a crazy idea as the luggage gets chucked around a lot.

Insurance generally won't cover kit put in the hold. Take a body and one lens, hire anything else out there?

If you do pack it in the checked luggage, don't forget to remove the batteries as they are not allowed in the hold. Personally I wouldn't (don't) pack my camera in the hold, it always come on board with me.

Whenever we fly, I stick a bit of kit in Mrs Nod's hand baggage and we lob a change of underwear into each rucksack. Non fragile/essential stuff like the tripod, polarisers etc. go in the hold.

Given today's sad events in Belgium, expect some changes in security arrangements at all airports.

Given today's sad events in Belgium, expect some changes in security arrangements at all airports.

Why? They didn't make it through security.

The issue is: more security = bigger crowds waiting to be scanned in the non-secure area.

To answer the OPs question - take all the Li-ion batteries in carry on plus anything breakable, tripods and stuff go straight in the hold baggage. If you must take fragile stuff in the hold, take the batteries out and carry them in hand luggage, put it in a Peli case and, depending on where you're heading, "facilitation fees" when you need the bag "found" should be carried in $.

How much gear are you taking and what are the airline rules? I've flown all over the world with over weight hand luggage on proper airlines!

Go for it, a few months ago I travelled to Oslo for one day with a backup only. It had my D610 and a manfrotto tripod inside, amongst other things.

Don't put it in your hand luggage or your hold luggage. Just sling it around your neck and walk on the plane with it. Nobody will bat an eyelid.

Edit: just noticed you wrote "lenses". Put the longest lens on the camera and put the others in jacket pockets if they wont fit in your hand luggage.

Avoid putting it in the hold if at all possible.

Last edited:
Back