Foam Rollers

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
Has anybody used these for relieving back pain (specifically sciatica)? Some websites seem to suggest they are good for back pain, others that you should avoid rolling the lower back. I'm thinking of getting one for using after cycling but would be great if they could sort my back as well [emoji3]

I used one a while back when I had sciatica, not as a roller as such , but sat with it as a pressure point of the trapped nerve, over time combined with stretching exercises it helps release the nerve, sciatica was gone within a week.

Yes I have a couple of rollers. They are pretty good once you get the hang of them. However, it's worth knowing that the pain almost never appears where the cause is and that a roller on bone is going to hurt quite a lot and possibly not help.

You may find that a lacrosse ball or even a tennis ball could help. For example,

You can get lacrosse balls on eBay for less than a fiver.

If you do get a roller then I'd recommend one of the cheaper smoother ones. I have a really expensive Rumble Roller and cheap smooth one from a chain store. The smooth one does me a lot more good than the knobbly one, largely because I can put more force on it.

Foam rollers are great and good for backs. Depends on what is causing sciatic pain
If it's a herniated disc, arthritis or other similar thing, a roller will do nothing and may make it worse.

Also ITB rolling is useless, although some people believe it does, its physiological Impossibility due to the strength of the ITB, it's like foam rolling a car tyre.

Thanks guys. I have taken a punt on a 2 in 1 (hard and soft) roller which comes with a massage ball so best of all worlds hopefully [emoji1]

Be interested to see how you go Phil - I've been struggling for a couple of months now - much better than I was as couldn't move, just sat here now with pins and needles running down my left leg :mad:

Back