Focal length on a TLR

Name
Kardo Ayoub
Edit My Images
Yes
HI everyone,
I was wondering what the 35mm equivalnt is for a 80mm 6x6 TLR lens, I am gussing it will be less than 80 dsoe any one know what factor I have to multiply it by to work it out?

Thanks.

About 50mm

It's best not to think about factors though. Just remember what the standard lens is for each format you use and work it out from there. I'm not sure where this factor thing came from when DSLRs first turned up. People didn't think about a 'focal length factor' when changing from 35mm to medium or large format.

Steve.

About 50mm

It's best not to think about factors though. Just remember what the standard lens is for each format you use and work it out from there. I'm not sure where this factor thing came from when DSLRs first turned up. People didn't think about a 'focal length factor' when changing from 35mm to medium or large format.

Steve.

To be honest I am not worried about these factors but I was just interested to know.
Thanks by the way

In terms of field of view, they will match up along the longest dimension. If you want to look at in terms of a crop factor, and I agree it is often confusing not to mention irrelevant, you take the long dimension of one, and divide it by the other.

I think 6x6 is usually 58x58mm, and 35mm is 36x24mm, so 58/36=1.61. In other words, by that calculation, to get an equivalent field of view to your 80mm lens on 6x6, you'll need a 50mm lens as Steve said.

We never used to worry about these things because until digital came along with a whole raft of different formats (compacts [numerous], 4/3rds, APS-C [various], APS-H, full frame) we only has 35mm to contend with.

6x6 was a completely different animal. It used it's own set of non-compatible lenses and the two never mixed. Not so with full frame digital and crop formats.

Back