Beginner focal length

Ermm 840mm ;)

yes I was confusing my 1.4x TC with the 1.5x crop in camera - so 840 and 900 :)

and to be honest- I'm seeing so many new members asking the most basic of question recently- like a swarm if you will

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm seeing so many new members asking the most basic of question recently- like a swarm if you will

already been addressed in this thread...

Current crop of homework questions have been rounded up and placed in the talk beginners section, along with a link to wikipedia where appropriate to allow them to answer their homework tasks.

Play nice people, if you can't be bothered to help, at least don't hinder - and if helping out is too much trouble, maybe consider that complaining about the situation is also taking up your valuable time, so don't do that either.

It's not spam - it's a bunch of people that may have been misguided / misinterpreted the directions of their course tutor. Let's show some of that old-school decency that got me involved in this forum in the first place.

Rest assured we're on the case, and if there ARE issues going forward, we'll take steps - no need for vigilante action.

already been addressed in this thread...

Thank you I did not see that thread :)

I have now read it and fully understand now what's what, sort of

Les :)

maybe I can offer you and all your friends who have signed up to this forum a little bit of advice...

if you sign up, and your first post is a single sentance question asking "what is...." - you're going to get a few of the members pushing back or saying "just do your own homework/google it".

However, if you go into the beginners forum, introduce yourself, give a quick "biography" or details of what you do, what you like shooting, what you feel you'd like to learn from being here, and how you think you could maybe help others on here" then you'll get a far more welcoming response.

If you then proceed to share some of your photo's in one of the photo sharing sections that'd be brilliant. Same thing if you apply your knowledge of photography to giving critique and feedback on other peoples images,

What I'm saying here, is that this is a community, not just a reference library staffed by people for your assitance. Join, participate, give something to the community, and it'll be reciprocated many, many times over.

Don't be offended if people post links to various websites in answer to a question, very often these posted links ARE the best resource that the person knows to explain it - it's a "curated" link if you will. I've posted many links to your college compatriots questions already - because, frankly, the best info I know was in them, and not only was I not going to plagiarise the other site, I wasn't about to re-type 5000+ words and source multiple photos and diagrams in illustration.

You may notice a marker against my name stating that I'm a Staff Member here. As such, what i've stated above would probably be a good thing to take on board, and to pass onto your friends who may also be posting on here - and perhaps also feed back to the lecturer who pointed you at this forum in the first place...

Enjoy your time within our community :)

I've looked through the Wikipedia link - I won't claim to have read it - to see how it explained the concept. Quite fully, but also possibly a little hard to see the wood for the equations and (probably) unfamilar terminology.

The simplest way for a photographer to look at it is to simply say that the focal length of a lens is the distance behind the lens that a sharp image of a very distant object is formed. How far back you have to place a sheet of paper to see a sharp image of the sun, in concrete terms.

Naturally, there are "complications" such as where you measure from if a lens actually has thickness, and no lens is infinitely thin. But these things don't alter the fundamental idea.

The other practical point from a photographer's viewpoint is that the image size of a distant object is directly proportional to the focal length.

Back