focus for group shots. Nikon

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

Im aware this will be a really simple question to answer - Im sorry i havent got my camera on me to trawl through the menu's. I know someone on here will be able to sole it quickly.

Currently using a Nikon D5500.

Using Auto mode - When i take group shots - often 'selfies' with the flip around screen and the live view, it tends to only focus on the person nearest the camera (i.e the selfie taker) and not the others in the group. They are blurred out in increasing levels (think aperture blur) as they move away from the camera. I use AFS lenses which vary from standard kit lenses, to 35mm 1.8g. None of them are manual only.
I leave it in auto as often it is not me using the camera as it is just being passed around at parties and gatherings etc.

I assume i have some sort of focusing setting that is set to pick up one face rather than a group?
I haven't trawled the menu's yet, but i know there is a quick answer on here.

Any other tips / tricks people can impart for this type of 'point and shoot' photography will be fab. (not being too drunk is one!)

Regards,
Nick

Nope.
It’s simply a DoF issue. Your camera can’t focus on more than one plane, so you make sure it’s focussed somewhere slightly back from the front row and have an aperture small enough for acceptable DoF.

Its easier with an iPhone with its massive DoF, but then an iPhone won’t give that nice shallow DoF selective focus look.

Also make sure the group is in bright light as that may cause "auto" to use a smaller aperture for greater depth-of-field, or use aperture priority and bump up the ISO to allow a smaller aperture

When I take group shots i focus a third into the subject

Back