Focus issues

RKC

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
My Mate came upto day as I was testing my lens for micro adjustment.
Decided he would try his Nikon D500+AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR
Set up tripod aperture wide open, iso 100, VR off shutter on 10 sec delay...........the photo is the result...........camera not moved live view perfect...........again camera not moved VR on and perfect.
He also had his second body so was changed with exactly the same results.
Also had a 100-400 which same shooting conditions on both bodies was perfect.

So this only happened on the 500 on both bodies with VR off and on tripod no human interaction so no movement.

Hopefully you can understand my explanation

Anyone have any ideas why this might be the case, its like it did not achieve focus using the viewfinder almost a double image, tried several times with same result

DSC_9075.jpg

Last edited:
What does the manual say about/for the lens usage of VR function when used on a tripod?

PS daft question ~ how mounted on the tripod? Using the foot on the lens?

PPS what is your flooring like......could there have been micro-vibrations from you walking around or the washing machine running nearby?

Last edited:
What does the manual say about/for the lens usage of VR function when used on a tripod?

PS daft question ~ how mounted on the tripod? Using the foot on the lens?

PPS what is your flooring like......could there have been micro-vibrations from you walking around or the washing machine running nearby?

Hi
No idea about VR and tripod to be honest, just downloaded manual, it just states can be useful or sometimes better turned off
Using the Lens foot
It is a carpeted wood flooring, however of the 2 bodies and 2 lens this was only occurring on the 500 with VR off and several photos were taken, although it cant be ruled out I sort of discounted that due to time scan but may need to re visit that for consideration

Thank you for replying, I am a bit of a loss

Last edited:
What was the shutter speed ?? Could this be a slow shutter speed and shock from the mirror movement? Love view moves the mirror out the way, hence why a slow shutter speed in 'regular' mode would cause this.

1/8 sec so that could possibly be it, but would it not have been the same when using the 100-400, it is something that needs to looked at to eliminate the possibility

Thank you for your reply

interesting , indoor or outdoor , what focal length ,?

Indoor, but same result when I turned the camera and pointed at something in the garden, focal 500 as it is a prime

Thank you Bob for replying

Back