Beginner Focus mode question

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm taking some shots of freestyle dancing tonight at my children's dance school party. Am I best using the AI Servo setting for this as the subject will be in action?

Am I best using the AI Servo setting for this as the subject will be in action?

Yes, you are… but you should not stop there —
Set "continous focus" and use "back button focus"!
You say nothing about using flash!!!

Thank you for your reply.

I've never used the back button focus before......any tips?

I have a 430exii speedlite flashgun at the ready

I've never used the back button focus before......any tips?

I know nothing about anything that is not Nikon.
So I will refer you to the RFM strategy!

Would I be better using the 9point auto selection focusing or the manual centre spot only for picking a single dancer out on the floor? I'm guessing the manual centre spot will be best?

How about the metering mode?
Evaluative?
Partial?
Spot?
Or centre weighted?

So sorry for all the questions!!!!!!!!

So sorry for all the questions!!!!!!!!

Again, I know nothing about anything that is not Nikon.
So I speak in Nikon term and am not familiar with other's lexicons!
Metering I would set on "c
enter-weighted metering" in Nikon terms
and "the manual centre spot only for picking a single dancer out on
the floor
" sounds good to me!

That's the plan!!!! They tend to work their way around the dance floor perimeter in an oval shape so I'm planning on positioning myself on the end of one of the 'straights' or just around the edge of the corner

Have a good time and good luck!

Thanks, I'll let you know how I get on :)
Would be interested to hear how you got on. I personally don't use BBF as I don't find it as comfortable and am quite happy to swap between C-AF and S-AF, it takes no time and rarely swap between the two as C-AF works well for static subjects too on my camera.

I know I'm a bit late to the party but does spot metering follow the Af point on your camera or is it always the centre? Spot metering can be useful in tricky lighting scenarios such as dances and stage performances. Also if you have highlight metering thus can be good in these situations too.

…does spot metering follow the Af point on your camera or is it always the centre?

Spot always remain in the centre. If needed, the reading may be locked with
or independently the focus point which may be moved around.

Spot always remain in the centre. If needed, the reading may be locked with
or independently the focus point which may be moved around.
Not sure what you mean by this? On my camera it takes the exposure reading from the AF point, unlike some cameras which only meter from the centre of the frame/central AF point. If the OP's camera behaves like mine then spot metering can be useful in scenes like they described and difficult lighting as the subject should always be properly exposed (assuming they have focussed correctly ;))

Your right, only higher end bodies will allow moving the centre spot along with
the AF point and not from all makers. I was imprecise on this, thank you.

Well, it went ok last night, I clicked away 100's of times and came away with a good number of decent (for me) action shots. I was using full manual mode too which was brave of me :)
Perhaps a little too much noise on some, which I couldn't see on the night on the camera screen unfortunately (ISO too high)? Some a little soft focused too but overall, I've got some half decent ones in quite a difficult environment.
I'll post some up here tomorrow if I get chance.
Thank you for your tips and advice.

…well, so far so good!
Keep an eye on the crop, WB and DRL:

dancerpp.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, echo kodiac's comments. Shame you've had to use direct flash, the ceiling does look too high to bounce off though.

Yeah the ceiling was about 20ft+ up!!!

The crop was done on my phone whilst sitting in the Lowry theatre in Manchester watching Diversity :)

What did you change out of interest, it looks much better ;-)

Excuse my ignorance.........what is drl?

What did you change out of interest, it looks much better ;-)
Only what I attracted your attention to: the crop, WB and DRL.

DRL = Dynamic Range Levels = black and white points setting.

imho I think you have made a good job on these it is always tricky indoors, as pointed out all that was needed was some minor tweaks,
as for BBF I have just gone over to it, for shooting birds, it gives two modes of focus on one button, try it and see you can always switch back if you don't like it;)

Thanks for all of your input and feedback on this thread. I've found it all really useful. I've still to experiment with the bbf but I will in time.
Thanks again folks

Merry Christmas

Back