Focus onimaging

I went on Monday, first time I'd been.

I enjoyed it, and oddly it was more the printed media element of it that caught my interest rather than the gear itself.

Most of the gear I tried I was a little underwhelmed by (Fuji X-Pro, Canon G1X, Nikon J1, etc.).

That said, I did walk away with an Olympus 45mm f1.8 for a very nice price!

Will more than likely go next year.

Tbh, the gear is much of a muchness once you have most of what you need and most of what you would like. Everything i would like now is £hundreds every time even secondhand and you still have to make your pictures which is the most important thing - unless you are buying something radically different to what you own already. I too am more excited now about being able to control my own finished results on print (for non commercial work) although again it costs a small fortune. I wanted a good street compact, fast reacting, with a viewfinder... I still don't feel there is what I need, with the reviews showing the G1X possibly even slower than my G11, and the Fuji X Pro looking very nice but at £2k! Maybe i am a cheapskate but I find the prices very inflated even if most think they are a bargain. I mean some things are like £50 for a bit of cloth and elastic to diffuse your flash, or £40 to hold something that holds something else to the front of your lens! :)

Focus is ok if you are after something at a reduced cost but I'd guess it's the same price or even more than mail order if you factor in fuel, parking, a sandwich and entry fee for those that pay (luckily I don't). Still didn't find the prices that good though and suprised some would sooner lug all the stock back to the shop and re-stock rather than knock off an extra £10 with only an hour or two before closing! :) There are a few guest speakers of interest, and nice to see a few top players in their game and one or two C list celebrities around though and it is a good insight how people work. I particularly enjoyed Damien Lovegrove who made it all look so easy.

Sounds a bit negative, not quite meant to in too heavy a way, but I have been a couple of times, enjoy the day out, only 45 mins away so will def go again.

Last edited:
A lot of what Focus is about for exhibitors is meeting their public and giving people an opportunity of looking at their products, whether new to the market or not.

The Company I'm involved with sells mainly on the net, so letting people actually get their hands on the stuff can be difficult - but I'm guessing that other manufacturers have the same problems too, because even if they are supplying shops, the shops won't stock the entire range and probably won't have anywhere near as much knowledge as the manufacturer.

We're a good example of this, we have two products that have each come top in a magazine group test, beating all other products including some that cost far more - but buyers need to actually handle the equipment and judge for themselves, and Focus is ideal for this because they can get their hands on all of the equipment from all of the suppliers.

Also, we launched a brand new product. People loved it and the orders are flooding in, but because it's new it would have started off very slowly if we hadn't been able to show it at Focus, because nobody wants to be the first, they want reassurance from other people who already have it, or they at least want to see it and handle it themselves before deciding.

A lot of exhibitors use demonstrations as sales tools; we went in the opposite direction, showing people how easy it all is and how little equipment is needed, and it worked well for us.

Focus shouldn't really be about shopping for bargains, it costs a fortune to exhibit there and so genuine discounts are difficult to give, unless the products are ex demo. IMO Focus should be about comparing actual products with advertising claims, and with competing products.

Can you buy products such as film or photographic paper from the exhibitors such as Ilford? Sorry for all these questions, I don't know all that much about Focus on Imaging at the moment.

.....Focus shouldn't really be about shopping for bargains, it costs a fortune to exhibit there and so genuine discounts are difficult to give, unless the products are ex demo. IMO Focus should be about comparing actual products with advertising claims, and with competing products.

A good point Garry, and although I did have half an eye for a bargain, I do agree with you.

My company was involved with a major angling show at the NEC through the late 90s and early 00s but in the end, we pulled out (as did many others) because the selling aspect became the draw and not the product. Exhibitors selling cheap Chinese gear alongside exhibitors showcasing top-end gear just didn't sit well with and in the end, after the show scaled down to just one hall, it ended completely. The major players pulled the plug and even for a few years as a selling show, it couldn't attract enough numbers of people willing to spend 'X' amount because they just wanted more and more discount and that couldn't be done.

Now we have many 'car boot sales' as my boss calls them, and although they service those who want cheap gear, they do nothing for the overall trade because it effectively removes that money from the wider market.

I wasn't really going there with the plan of purchasing anything, I was hoping to try the 45mm then buy it somewhere after the show. However the price it was available for was better than anything I'd seen online or in-store so I went for it.

The main reason for the visit was to try out the latest hardware (which I thought could be an expensive exercise!), however most of it didn't seem to live up to the hype, probably because everything seems so hyped-up on the internet these days...

You will find a few retailers take a very, very significant percentage of annual turnover at Focus, for some it is all about selling.

Can you buy products such as film or photographic paper from the exhibitors such as Ilford? Sorry for all these questions, I don't know all that much about Focus on Imaging at the moment.

Not much idea about film stuff, last year I went with my brother has he wanted a DSLR and he also bought a few rolls of film for his SLR from one of the smaller stalls. Neither of us has darkroom equipment so didn't pay any attention to whether or not paper was available.

Basically you have big manufacturers showcasing product but not selling it, big retailers with large stands selling lots of product with occasional genuine bargains (I didn't go this year as I was on holiday, but previously Jessops and CamerWorld both had large stalls with a wide range of product), plus medium and smaller manufacturers who may be showcasing and selling, small retailers, societies, educational estabishments offering photography courses etc. It's easy to spend most of a day there.

I bought my Zeiss 85/1.4 at Focus a couple of years ago from Jessops, at the time the price was 20% lower than any reputable store and 15% lower than the grey importers and HK sellers on ebay, but they only had two at that price and they were both gone by lunchtime on the first day.

Maybe as more and more goods go to online selling, a show like this could become more popular for trying and comparing goods, because for most it may be the only way to try before you buy.

Buying and returning may become more expensive as postage costs rise, and hundreds or thousands of pounds tied up for a week or two while you decide whether you want to keep something may be inconvenient. There are some goods you need to handle or wear before you buy, and shows like this could become more important as time goes on, regardless of whether there are bargains to be had. :shrug:

Mm does anyone have any experiance regarding film & darkroom equipment/consumables @ focus? What's available? Thanks.

Last edited:
Ilford had a stand and a lot of their papers. The disabled photographers society had a secondhand stall, lots of dev tanks and stuff. You can get it all online though...even Ebay.

Thank you, I'll be interested to visit their stand :} {assuming they'll be @ focus next time}

I was very impressed by Ilford. Had a discussion about brinting black and whites from digital. Very good product knowledge, very friendly and helpfull. And I assure you no sign of any magenta casts anywhere on the prints.

A service I will be using in the not to far distant future and all down to them being there, so glad thats one name thats survived.

SNG60007 said:
I was very impressed by Ilford ...Very good product knowledge, very friendly and helpful.

Pleased to hear that :} were they selling any range of film or papers that day? Not after a discount just can't always find places to pick up products. Thanks for your post :}

Michael Sewell said:

Thanks for the suggestion :}

& D:! is all I have to say to that comment aforementioned about Kodak.. I hope Ilford don't come across trouble. I'm an Ilford consumer thru & thru!

Last edited:
Mm does anyone have any experiance regarding film & darkroom equipment/consumables @ focus? What's available? Thanks.

Patterson - had a stand with some of their products on display. There were also some old second hand enlargers going cheap from the Disabled Photographers Society. May be worth contacting them.

Linky here:- http://www.disabledphotographers.co.uk/

Lots of bargains to be had at Focus but some unbelievably rude people and a few 'look at me' brigade but a great time. Worth taking drinks and food if you can, like parking, it was outrageously expensive.

Hahaha thank you for the advice. I'll probably get the train up there as I'm guessing there is a station close by? {Aforementioned}. It's just going to be choosing a day to go.

Ooh I didn't kno Paterson were @ Focus! More reasons to attend.

Back