Focus RS: Lake and Horseshoe

Edit My Images
Yes
Been dishing out the critiques recently so though it was about time I put some more of my stuff up.

The past couple of weekends I've taken advantage of the good weather and driven up into the hills. A couple of weeks ago the Horseshoe Pass, then yesterday Llyn Brenig. I'm sure you can tell which pics are where :D

Focus Llyn Brenig 1 by AdrianFRST, on Flickr

Focus Llyn Brenig 3 by AdrianFRST, on Flickr

Focus Llyn Brenig 2 by AdrianFRST, on Flickr

Focus Horseshoe Sept 2013 by AdrianFRST, on Flickr

Obsession by AdrianFRST, on Flickr

Well, I think they are all sh#t hot!

3 and 5 are about 1% better than the rest, but they are all really great shots.

No5 does it for me-nice low POV and a dramatic sky- just needs some seperation from the BG in the car boot area, If that makes any sense :LOL:

Les (y)

Last 2 are superb!

Id kill for a green RS. I'd go half way for the blue or white lol.

#2, 4 & 5 are spot on, possibly 5 has the most impact but I like 4 more as its not as artificial.

#1 the car is to central and the viewpoint is too high.

#3 I see what you were going for but the car isn't prominent enough in the frame.

Lovely car though :) I've got an orange st and love it so can only imagine what this is like.

All great pics mate (y)

I'm no expert and only saying what I see...

#5 is the desktop wallpaper shot with #4 a close 2nd

#1 and 2 could have maybe benefited from a double exposure for the background and stunning FRS to balance them out and reduce the highlights in the sky a little

#3 is very well exposed/ polarised (?) but it would have been better with the car facing into the scene as it looks strange the way it is. :thinking:

As I said, not an expert, but your pics are cracking bud (y) :clap:

#5 is great, followed by #4 rest just look normal compared to those 2 great shots!

Thanks for the comments guys!

What lens(es) were you using here if you dont mind me askin ?

1 and 2 - Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG
3,4,5 - Canon 24-105L f/4 IS

Still not sure why they only done this car in 2 crazy colours?

They made the RS in green, white and blue so only one crazy colour. You might be thinking of the ST which came in bright orange?

#1 the car is to central and the viewpoint is too high.

#3 I see what you were going for but the car isn't prominent enough in the frame.

Lovely car though :) I've got an orange st and love it so can only imagine what this is like.

#1 When you say too central do you mean vertically? The viewpoint is high because the sun was so bright I had to frame it out, plus the top of the car is lower than the shore of the lake and thirdly I have loads of shots from this angle but a lower viewpoint so it was nice to do something a bit different.

#3 I took some from the same angle much closer but didn't like them. It's not too obvious in this one, but the car's parked on uneven ground and the gap between the tyre and arch is bigger than normal so it looks strange. I could have fixed it in PS, but there's still something else I don't like about them so haven't bothered.

I've not driven an ST, but I'd imagine it's like the ST turned up to 11!

#1 and 2 could have maybe benefited from a double exposure for the background and stunning FRS to balance them out and reduce the highlights in the sky a little

#3 is very well exposed/ polarised (?) but it would have been better with the car facing into the scene as it looks strange the way it is. :thinking:

Yeah, the sun was really bright so was a bit of an issue. Due to the location I couldn't really park the other way either... I did have my tripod with me but didn't think to do multiple exposures. I instead spent time faffing around with my strobes and light stands only to not like any of the 30 odd shots I took with them!

#3 is polarised yes. I would have turned the car round but I was running out of time as the gates to the lake closed at 18:30 and it was 18:10 and I had my kit to put away and drive around back to the exit.

I'll go back at some point for another go, hopefully with a different car!

As a general shot no 3 for me, if it were to advertise the car then no 5 as it looks awesome.

#1 When you say too central do you mean vertically? The viewpoint is high because the sun was so bright I had to frame it out, plus the top of the car is lower than the shore of the lake and thirdly I have loads of shots from this angle but a lower viewpoint so it was nice to do something a bit different.

#3 I took some from the same angle much closer but didn't like them. It's not too obvious in this one, but the car's parked on uneven ground and the gap between the tyre and arch is bigger than normal so it looks strange. I could have fixed it in PS, but there's still something else I don't like about them so haven't bothered.

I've not driven an ST, but I'd imagine it's like the ST turned up to 11!

#1 is probably just personal preferene more than anything, I meant horizonatally the car a smidge to the right in the frame. So the nearest corner is on the vertical thirds line in the picture. I want to try taking a step ladder to my next attempt to get an even higher view point.

I can imagine, they do look good! maybe after the ST :love:. I hope your mpg isnt much worse than mine!

No 5 is great. I'd either crop a little of the bottom of the shot or edit the foreground to bring the fade-to-black nearer the bottom of the shot. Then I'd pull up the shadows of the grille a little to give it definition and try to get a little tyre tread detail on the OSF tyre. Then remove the name at the foot of the number plate and job done!

Nick Froome

Last edited:
Thanks again for the comments!

Went back out on Saturday for more of the same. Variations on a theme if you will. Took feedback on board about:

- back of the car blending in (positioned so the back isn't in front of the embankment)
- removing the dealer name from the plate
- enhanced details in the grille, lights, badges (loaded the raw in as another layer with increased exposure then layer masked)

focus-horseshoe-oct2013-2-1024x576-525332b97a11dnowm.jpg

I hope your mpg isnt much worse than mine!

20-22mpg!

Thanks again for the comments!

Went back out on Saturday for more of the same. Variations on a theme if you will. Took feedback on board about:

- back of the car blending in (positioned so the back isn't in front of the embankment)
- removing the dealer name from the plate
- enhanced details in the grille, lights, badges (loaded the raw in as another layer with increased exposure then layer masked)

focus-horseshoe-oct2013-2-1024x576-525332b97a11dnowm.jpg

20-22mpg!

Much more like it, thats the best shot of the lot. Doesn't need the dramatic sky for impact!

Only thing if I'm being super picky is I'd remove the stone next to the front right wheel, now I've noticed it my eye keeps getting drawn to it.

20-22? I dont feel so bad anymore with 24/25mpg! :LOL:

think the composition is much improved in the retaken shot

#4 has got some heavy fringing on the post, can correct this in LR with a click :)

#2 is nice, but #5 pick for me

lovely motor

1+2 amateur looking snapshots
3+4+5 excellent shots more professional looking

Thanks for the comments again guys!

Only thing if I'm being super picky is I'd remove the stone next to the front right wheel, now I've noticed it my eye keeps getting drawn to it.

I've corrected this and due to that image being self hosted I can upload a new version under the same name / link. If it looks the same you might just need to open it in a new window and refresh.

I've fixed the fringing around the post on this shot too.

1+2 amateur looking snapshots

Curious as to what makes you say that?

#1 and 2 could have maybe benefited from a double exposure for the background and stunning FRS to balance them out and reduce the highlights in the sky a little :clap::clap::clap:

i agree with JKP comment 100%

I'm liking the last image, it's got a real cinematic feel. Im not a fan of the spec r logo, it's a bit bright and pulls the eye away and removes some of the menace from the cars stance.

Back