Focus RS500

The problem is (and I have never driven one !) that it is a hopelessly overpowered front wheel drive car. I have owned two Caterhams and a Subaru Impreza. Indeed I bought the Subaru as a "sensible" car for when I needed to travel a long distance on my commute. I then had kids and everything changed :-(

For 35k I would buy a Caterham for £20k and a warm hatchback for £10K. The RS500 (unless you are barmy about the whole RS thing) just seems to be the worst of several worlds and the best of few.

Tbh, you're talking rubbish about FWD etc.

I've driven a RS500 in the wet and the grip was amazing! The LSD and suspension work very well together and nailing it out of a few roundabouts it was surprising how much grip it had. 4wd esque.
The car shouldn't be 4wd/rwd as it's got plenty of grip and would just add weight if it was different.

I do agree of the prices though. Having driven dad's caterham on track it was more fun then the RS500 by a lot. Different things appeal to different people though and I respect that.

Tbh, you're talking rubbish about FWD etc.

I've driven a RS500 in the wet and the grip was amazing! The LSD and suspension work very well together and nailing it out of a few roundabouts it was surprising how much grip it had. 4wd esque.
The car shouldn't be 4wd/rwd as it's got plenty of grip and would just add weight if it was different.

I do agree of the prices though. Having driven dad's caterham on track it was more fun then the RS500 by a lot. Different things appeal to different people though and I respect that.

I will certainly hold my hands up and say that I have never driven a RS500. If Ford have genuine managed to get 4wd'esque handling out of a v.powerful FWD car then hats off to them !

But I will stand by the widely perceived opinion that getting a RWD/AWD car to handle well is a lot easier than getting a FWD car to handle well. There is no coincidence to the fact that Porsche, Ferrari, Lotus, Caterham, Ariel all make RWD/AWD cars !

I'd still love to have a drive of the RS500 though :)

Quite like the RS actually.

Whats special about this limited run of 500 special ones? More power? Surely not, they cant possibly put any more power through the front wheels!?

My only critique (and this isnt a critique of the photos), is that the car does need lowering a little, its on stilts!!!

Indeed they do have more power. 350 bhp. They all come in matt black and are individually numbered.

Quite like the RS actually.

Whats special about this limited run of 500 special ones? More power? Surely not, they cant possibly put any more power through the front wheels!?

My only critique (and this isnt a critique of the photos), is that the car does need lowering a little, its on stilts!!!

It has the Mountune Kit on it, you can also buy it as an option for your now "slow" and "normal" RS... kicks it up to 350bhp and 460nm of Torque.... AND it keeps the ford warranty!!

Porsche 997 GT3 Rs 0-62 4.2 secs :thinking: mmmm
Audi TT and 5 RS Coupes 0-62 4.6 secs :thinking: mmmm
:nono:
Ah!
Ford RS 200 Evolution 0-60 3.275 secs (y)(Fastest Production car 0-60 time set back in 1993)
Can't see it taking another second to get to 62mph, can you?

But the RS200 was one off run for homologation though... the other cars you mention are more "mass production" super cars...

Apparently some of the Evolution models did 0-60 in just over 2 seconds :eek: At least some of the rallycross ones are cable of doing that, although the engines wouldn't be original spec.

As for the Porsche vs RS500 arguement, same thing, why are you comparing purpose built super/sports cars with a tuned family hatch? :LOL:

I personally love the RS500, fantastic looking car, the matt black really works! :cool:

Last edited:
Apparently some of the Evolution models did 0-60 in just over 2 seconds :eek: At least some of the rallycross ones are cable of doing that, although the engines wouldn't be original spec.

The name Pat Doran rings a bell in this respect - think he had a mentally fast rallyX version

the new impreza sti cosworth looks the muts.
0-62mph in 3.7secs, and only made 75.
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=21979

You'd think this was pistonheads, not talk photography lol.

The STi Cosworth is £50K! Thats GT-R money.
Plus, Evo magazine put the RS500 and the Subaru head to head. The verdict was...

"The Ford has a dynamic acuity completely missing from the Subaru"

Subaru - 3.5 stars

Ford Rs - 5.0 stars

The car suits the "stealth" look. Great photos, they do it and the work done on it justice.

Am i the only one who quite likes the Matt Black??

Think it really helps the Stealthy look...

Great shots of an awesome car (y)

I would give my right arm for an RS500 - the exhaust note alone is worth £30k :LOL:

Back